Plumbing leak between skimmer and pump suction

chuppi

Bronze Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
Pleasanton, CA
For a few months now, I am seeing water levels going down in the pool. But from my observation the last few weeks, the level drops drastically when the pump runs. But otherwise it is slow.
I was suspecting suction side leak (between skimmer and pump) because this happened right around when my motor was reinstalled. I guess that the pipe was probably disturbed during the installation causing the leak.
Today I confirmed with the dye test that the leak is indeed in the plumbing (you can see that in the picture). The dye place around the skimmer quickly disappears into the piping.

I have two questions.
1. I see the posting below on Fix-a-leak and it looks like it worked for TFP expert Isaac-1
I Used Marlig Liquid Fix-a-Leak
Swimming Pool Leak? Try . - YouTube
For the price it is worth the try. I will follow the thread and also the youtube video. Let me know if you have any suggestions of if there are other products in the market.

2. I am also considering digging to look for the plumbing leak. The distance between skimmer and pump is around 10ft. There is decking which is a hassle. There is also this cement slab (picture attached) just before the pipe coming out to connect to the pump. So far I haven't had any success is opening it. Not sure if I should use angle grinder and cut it open to see what is there. Appreciate any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_3516.jpg
    IMG_3516.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3517.jpg
    IMG_3517.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 43
Hi duraleigh - I don't know when or why it was put. It was there when I got the house mid last year.
I haven't attempted to remove it because when I do the manual vacuum, the hose end connects well to that fitting.

I am planning to plug the skimmer and watch the water level for a couple of weeks to be 100% sure that the leak is in the pluming.
Thanks

Thanks duraleigh. I will keep you posted. I will cut open a small hole in that slab to see what's there. My pool equipment does not have any controls (like controlling the water from skimmer vs main drain). Guessing it is buried under the slab.

Thanks duraleigh. I will keep you posted. I will cut open a small hole in that slab to see what's there. My pool equipment does not have any controls (like controlling the water from skimmer vs main drain). Guessing it is buried under the slab.
I would not cut the slab just yet. I would replace and reseal that fitting which I think is not set in cement but rather put in with sealant and, if you do a good job, you may be able to stop your leak quickly. The chances of you having controls buried under the cement are virtually zero.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.