Plumbing Intex pool

smuth10

Mar 7, 2021
Troy, Michigan
Intex 16' x 32' Pool
Hayward 150k BTU heater
I was wondering if anyone has hard plumbed their Intex pool from a distant location and not put the filter right by the pool ports.
I have a 1" gas line at my shop about 35-40' from where the filter and heater would normally go and would rather put the filter and heater at the corner of my shop and use 1-1\2" PVC underground. Concerned the 2800GPH pump that comes with the pool will not be able to handle this. Has anyone done this before?

You really want a 1hp 2 speed or VS and at least a 22 inch sand filter for that setup.... They are hard to find right now with the freeze we just had...

I read your pool building thread. Pretty much what I want to do. Some questions for you

Did you use 2" pvc for everything and change the intex supplies and returns that came with the pool?
Did you insulate your underground PVC at all? If so, with what?
Do you have any issues with thr rigid PVC being right up to the soft side pool? I feel like my kids being crazy in the pool would slam that PVC all over the place.
Could you let me know what you used for your valves and suction\return fittings?

Much appreciated!

I just put the 2 inch pipe right on top of the ground, none of it has been buried for 7 years, no issues after blowing them out for winter.. The PVC is on the ground and that is why I have a 45 degree in there to have some give when the walls flex.. We have done countless cannonballs of the deck and not 1 leak in 7 years...

You want these 1.5 inch high temp union for the through wall and skimmer connection.. I also used them on my pump but make sure as Pentair is 2 inch x 2 inch high temp.

This is the skimmer I used

This is used for the through wall fitting, use a soldering iron to cut, really easy that way..

these are the valves I used, yes they are expensive but they last forever and ever... worth every penny..

on post 93 it shows everything I used and the process for doing it..

Hope this helps :)

Awesome thank you!

I know you already had your pump setup for 2 returns and 2 intakes for the original pool you were supposed to get.
Do you think you need 2 & 2 for the intex as well?

I am going to install a skimmer basket and would rather have all the debri going through one intake only.

The problem you have is there are already 3 holes on the side of the pool and all 3 are to low to install a skimmer over 1... You could have 3 returns but they would all be on that 1 side... A suction side cleaner works great with this setup and it will continue to pull water from the pool with the water below the skimmer... I have only done that a few times but it is an option :)

You only other option would be to patch 1 of the holes already there..

here is my suction side now.. it cleans the pool great, I still have to brush but it keeps the floor clean...

This is when I just opened in the spring, you can see it is effective :) Hayward W3PHS21CST Aquanaut Suction Pool Cleaner, 200

My plan was to patch both of the intake holes, install skimmer basket in a higher position and re-use the return hole
However, I was thinking the larger HP pump may need 2 intakes and 2 returns. May have to consult with a pool company on this as I want it done correctly.
I have also read that having too much HP is not good. How long were your runs from the filter to the center of the pool?

We are planning on installing a 150k btu heater as well because we are in Michigan.
For the cleaner we are planning on getting the Dolphin Escape.

I appreciate all of the help!

my equipment is about 20 feet from the pool and I had a 1hp, 2 speed pump at first and now a 1.65 hp VS pump... I can suck the skimmer dry if it is below half way of water and that is with the suction cleaner also going... I really like a 2 skimmer or 2 intake setup so if 1 fails the other will still work... and 1 return will keep your pressure above the 15 PSI level, mine tops out at 15 PSI with 2 returns on high, probably 25 to 30 PSI on high with 1 return and you DO NOT want high pressure, the lower the better.. At 900 RPM on my VS i have about 2 PSI now and it is oh so happy... When I run my SWG it is about 4 PSI at 1100 RPM...

Reactions: smuth10
you can use any pump for any pool.. any in ground pump for an above ground pool, above ground pumps can not be used on in ground pools.. What they are saying is a normal Intex pool is not setup for a VS pump and they are correct but I do not do anything normal :)
I just changed my 2 speed pump to a V Green VS 1.65 hp motor and works great...

here are VS pumps you can use

This is the exact motor I am running right now, love it... my pump side is a Pentair not waterway but no matter the pump side... Waterway Power Defender 165 Variable Speed Pool Pump 1.65 HP 230V - PD-VSC165 - INYOPools.com

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great thank you. I guess I am wondering why they are telling me the VS motors are only for inground pools then? I am sure it has to do with the height of the water, but makes sense to me they would work either way.

I see Hayward has the Powerflo VS 300 now that is listed as an above ground pool pump.
Fron the link you sent me the Speck is also listed as above ground. What is your opinion of Speck?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.