Plumbing design

ok, is a build question, but i didnt want to start another thread since this one is really about my aniticpated build.

Summer is bust time for me and I was at the mercy of the friend helping me order pool and equipment, so here i am . all my stuff here and no pool yet.

SO - here is my question: Is there any reason why I shouldn't install now versus waiting until spring?

Can someone suggest light placement? Below is a diagram of my pool. I plan to have a deep end light shining back towards the shallow end (Pentair 5G 120v 500watt [equivalent] LED white only]), which i assume will create shallow end shadows.

Where would you place a light or lights in the shallow end?

Megna ordered pool.jpg

Ok, so my build has started and the excavation is done and they have set about 80% of the walls. I got home after dark and went to check on the work. It is mostly good, but one side of the deep end is not level and I can tell that in two spots they dug a few inches too deep. To level the low spots they have stacked wood underneath the steel wall and I don't like that. My feeling is that the wood will rot in a few years and the wall will sag again causing liner problems.

I am going to tell him that I want that part of the walls removed and him to level the dirt before the walls go back in.

The only possible fix, short of that is when we pour the concrete footers around the walls , to remove the wood and force concrete in those spaces, but I don't think that will suffice.

Does everyone agree?

Absolutely remove the wood. That is a terrible idea. If they backfill with dirt, be very mindful that it is compacted extremely well as lose fill dirt is no better than decomposed wood. I like the idea of a concrete footer.

yes, my plan is to pour 12 inches of concrete around the exterior walls before any gravel or other backfill material to the top. the pool floor will also be concrete/grout with wall foam over the concrete, instead of poolcrete or other softer material. As it turns out the excavation reveals that our soil is really good and not full of lots of clay, which i was worried about, so I figure, why not install a floor that will last and not necessarily need repair on every liner change.

I decided on light placement as shown in the attached picture.

I went with Pentair 5G color LED (12 volt) for the deep end light, and in the shallow end pointing back towards the deep end, I chose 3 Pentair Globrites (12 volt). Anyone have throughts on the placement, or have any experience with these lights? The three shallow end lights are 8 feet apart across the 32 feet of the long shallow end wall. My thought was that I didn't want a light shining directly at the steps for fear of glare. I plan on installing them relatively low, probably about half way down the 48-inch walls.

They are all color changing and I got the Pentair controller and a 120v to 12v, 300 watt transformer.

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 9.15.57 PM.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are planning to add a spa, I probably wouldn't go with a SuperFlo VS. An Intelliflo might be a better choice.

Check with your power company. There may be rebates for a VS pump.

But if you go the VS route, put in a surge protector.

MAS985,

I was thinking of putting some jets with venturi tees around my steps, at least 2.
Based on this post from before, would you still recommend the Intelliflo pump?
Also, is this something you could help me design into my plumbing design? I have taken over my install after the excavation and walls were put up. I didnt like how he was doing the walls, so I took the project over as general contractor.

Are you still adding a spa? If you only have two jets total, then the SuperFlo would be ok. But the current version (342001) isn't exactly the most efficient VS on the market. For some reason, Pentair took a step back with that one. But it is still more efficient than a two speed. If the price difference isn't much, I would go with the Intelliflo.

However, if it were me and given your location, I would just put in a two speed. Could very well end up costing less over the life of the pump than a VS would. Much easier and less expensive to fix too.

not adding a spa from the standpoint of a separate structure or enclosure. (Yes, my pool build is taking a long time.)
I just have such a long step area (16 feet of steps, vinyl over steel steps) that i wanted to ad some jets. I can just do two, one on each end, but i was hoping maybe to do one on each end and perhaps two shooting out into the pool from the face of the second or third of four steps, for a total of four.

The cost difference in the intelliflo (011018) and the superflo (342001) is right at $250. Recouping the cost of the pump isnt a primary concern. I dont want to spend just to spend, but am ok with a couple of hundred to get the right equipment.

Every type of jet has a different flow rate requirement. You need to pick out the jets you want to use and make sure they will work with your system setup.

I had someone suggest Waterway as a good brand. Other than knowing that brand, what would I search online to find the type jets I am looking for? Shopping for this type of product has been frustrating becuase apparently I do not know what to call them.

Thank you for your help!

-Mickey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.