Plumbers created a problem

KMorg

Jul 21, 2023
Henderson, NV
We recently finished our pool construction and it quickly became apparent that my plumbers either intentionally misled me, or simply made a mistake. I prefer to think the latter. We have a raised spa with a spillover into the pool. It is not a spillway, but a true spillover edge (see attached). The problem that has been created is that they never plumbed it for the pumps to be running while the pool cover is closed. Thus, if I have my pumps on, the water is being pumped through the in-floor system, into the spa, and spills over onto the pool cover, which doesn't work. The plumber has suggested we isolate the spa from the pool, but we are an in-floor system and the only water that returns to the spa is via the in-floor system, so no water would be circulating in the spa with his suggestion. So I don't love that.
My thought was to cut a 2" pipe into the waterline of the spa, run it through and down the bond beam to the dirt area where we will put turf. From there we'd run it into the skimmer. I would bury a valve in an irrigation box that would be connected to the easy touch so whenever we close the pool we just turn on "cover closed" mode which would open the valve and gravity feed the spa into the skimmer.
Anybody have any better ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2780.jpeg
    IMG_2780.jpeg
    660.9 KB · Views: 19
It appears your spa has a main drain. Why not just turn on spa mode couple times a day to circulate the spa water.
When in pool mode, can you turn off the pipe from the infloor system to the spa? This would be only when you have your cover closed. Is your SWCG before the Spa/Pool valve such that it operates in either mode?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.