Plumbed in chlorinator use

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Daughter is going on vacation for a week and has a plumbed in chlorinator for her 18,500 gallon pool. Hasn't been used cause I have her TFP'ing it! With the current chlorine shortage, what is your experience on how long 7 or 8 pucks in the chlorinator running 8 hours a day last at what setting? Can you run these things at a level somewhere closer to your cya minimum since it is more of a constant feeding that one time a day jug dumping like a SWCG? I know a week is no problem. Two....Three? What has been your experience?

Her pool has #320 Rainbow Lifegard feeder.

Last edited:
It depends. The #320 has a flow control that adjusts how much water flows through the stack of tablets. It’s something I’d test out first. Wide open (5) and mine will go through 10 tablets in about 2 weeks. I typically only run it until CYA is where I want it and then stop using it. I think about 2 is where I used to run it before I realized just how much CYA the tablets would add over a season.

Reactions: derekm
"Anotherpyr" is right on. I load up the Rainbow 320 with a stack of 10 pucks for two weeks away from the pool, run it on the wide-open setting, and leave the solar cover on to reduce chemical use. I run my 2-speed pump on low for 12 hours a day. When I get back, the pucks are mostly used up, and the chlorine is a bit on the high side. I also use it at the first of the season until CYA is normal (mine goes down over the winter) and switch to bleach except when I'm away.

Each puck is going to add about 4 ounces of stabilizer. So I‘d make sure that the resulting CYA level is acceptable.

I typically raise the chlorine level and put the safety cover back on the pool if I’m going away. Don’t have to worry about equipment failures and such that way.

Reactions: derekm
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.