Plugged Hayward CL220 Chlorinator

Sammy312

Apr 24, 2008
Baytown,TX
I have a Hayward CL220 chlorinator that, I think, is partially plugged up because I have the setting at 'maximum' and I still don't seem to be using up the chlorine tablets very fast and I'm having a hard time keeping the chlorine level up. Inside I see a lot of tan colored 'goo' on the side of the chlorinator housing. I read somewhere else on this site that the knob can be removed by pinching it to bypass the stop and then unscrewing it. I tend to think maybe the inlet is partially clogged so I plan to take it apart and try to clean it. My main question is 'how do I protect my skin while I'm cleaning this device'? I am concerned that the tan colored stuff is some kind of highly concentrated chlorine. Any help out there?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Sammy,

No problem on the "goo". get a big bucket of water and submerse the whole thing in it while cleaning. There's nothing in the tabs that could cause any harm under those conditions. I can't imagine what that goo is unless something other than tri-chlor tabs have been put in there.