Austin TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Have a tiny pad & need to be able to unplug pump to move it for maint. Considering this indoor/outdoor, 4-prong, 10ga, twist-lock, 30A, 125-240V extension (amazon: extension). Maybe cut it and wire cut ends to pump & breaker with plug/outlet unit stored in weatherproof in-use box mounted to the wall. Probably not to code, but safe?

Alternative: I think I can find an appropriate locking female that I can permanantly mount, but what about the weatherproof, locking male for the pump part?

Have a tiny pad & need to be able to unplug pump to move it for maint. Considering this indoor/outdoor, 4-prong, 10ga, twist-lock, 30A, 125-240V extension (amazon: extension). Maybe cut it and wire cut ends to pump & breaker with plug/outlet unit stored in weatherproof in-use box mounted to the wall. Probably not to code, but safe?

Alternative: I think I can find an appropriate locking female that I can permanantly mount, but what about the weatherproof, locking male for the pump part?

I know that in some places code technically requires the pump to be hardwired.
That said, I converted mine to a plug. I will caveat the following with the fact that I believe I generally know what I'm doing around electricity (and even went to school for it, though we could debate the usefulness of that). If you don't, please hire someone who does.

I bought some SOOW cord from Mcmaster, and then put a twist-lock plug on it. Unless your pump actually needs a neutral line, you only need the 3-prong 240V plug. I used an appropriately sized cable gland on the motor. I then wired a twist-lock outlet and put a 4" deep outdoor cover on it so that the cover can be closed while in use.
Image from iOS (3).jpgImage from iOS (4).jpgImage from iOS (5).jpg

I bought some SOOW cord from Mcmaster, and then put a twist-lock plug on it. Unless your pump actually needs a neutral line, you only need the 3-prong 240V plug. I used an appropriately sized cable gland on the motor. I then wired a twist-lock outlet and put a 4" deep outdoor cover on it so that the cover can be closed while in use.
That's close to what I'm envisioning. Know I don't need 4-prong and 12 ga would be fine, but reason I was looking at this extension was 'cause plug/socket was factory weatherproofed.

Yeah, that's why I used an outdoor box. The blade connection isn't going to be weatherproof anyway.
Agreed. That's why I'd originally said
with plug/outlet unit stored in weatherproof in-use box mounted to the wall

But your mention of SOOW cable is making me think that maybe THAT'S what I need instead of a plug/outlet. If I have a cord that's more flexible than 12 ga in liquidtight, that just might be all I need to move the pump 5 ft out of the way. I sure don't PLAN on having a lot of maint problems where it's going to have to be moved. :LOL:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.