Silver Supporter
Apr 24, 2016
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My chlorine injection (see signature for details) strategy failed me while on vacation for a couple weeks this summer as I misjudged the frequency I would need someone to refill the reservoir and we sustained particularly high temperatures and wind bringing smoke from all of the California fires. In hindsight my CYA might have been a little low as well. However, the net result was that during the first week of August I came home to a what I consider an objectionable green pool although I've seen far, far worse posted here! Anyway, about a week of a SLAM led to a nice clear OCLT and crystal clear pool again.
Except, less than a week later little dime size yellow spots started to appear nightly in the shady wall of the pool in the top couple of feet especially. So I attempted to SLAM again, but this time the yellow spots returned every night no matter what I seemed to do although I haven't measured any CC since that first SLAM. After reading a pile of posts here about a certain difficult yellow algae I continued to up my game over the following weeks. Upped the FC, pulled the light niche, scrubbed down anything that had been in the pool with bleach, removed and soaked the DE grids in bleach, vacuumed the spots to waste daily, brushed frequently, etc.

As an aside, I witnessed our Dolphin's plastic surfaces hosting the dreaded spots so of course it too received a daily bleach scrub. I should also mention that my method for vacuuming the spots to waste also involves rubbing the wall where the spot was removed with a trichlor puck.

A couple weeks of nightly FC dosage to 17ppm dipping generally dipping to 7ppm in the late afternoon before the dosing pump turned on again. This started at around 40ppm CYA but dropped precipitously to 20ppm over that period I suspect both due to the higher chlorine and the dilutive effect vacuuming the algae to waste every morning. Nevertheless, there was no slowing the yellow spots dreaded appearance every morning despite maintaining a daily regimen of cleaning the light niche, the Dolphin's carcass and filters, brushing many times daily, and a weekly removal and soaking of the DE grids.

This had become tiresome, so on September 10 I decided maybe I'd been lazy about my approach and would leave no stone unturned. I brought my CYA back up to 35ppm, lowered my last known good pH measurement of 7.4 no more than a couple tenths (it's my understanding that measuring pH with high FC is not trustworthy) and brought my FC up to 24 ppm.

The next morning, September 11, I pulled the grids and supporting structure out of the DE filter entirely, scrubbed the interior of the filter with bleach and put it back together without guts as new grids were on the way. I have maintained an absolute minimum of 22ppm FC (0 CC) since then while upping the brushing schedule to about every two waking hours and keeping the Dolphin running as close to full time as practicable. Yesterday, September 12, new grids were installed in the DE filter.

This morning, September 13, the yellow spots made their daily appearance. I have attached close-up underwater photos of the spots for reference. They generally measure 1/2" in diameter (1-2cm). Is this stuff actually the dreaded mustard algae I read of? If you look closely at the photos, it almost appears the little yellow dots build themselves in a counter clockwise fashion. I'd love to try and catch a timelapse of this stuff growing but because I'm brushing the pool all day they are growing between midnight and six in the morning.

Attachments

• P9130295.jpg
    P9130295.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 255
  • P9130297.jpg
    P9130297.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 249
  • P9130298.jpg
    P9130298.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 244
  • P9130300.jpg
    P9130300.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 248
I'm partially posting this because my wife has been asking her friends with pools about what they've to eradicate this algae and has received almost universal advice of draining and acid washing. The fiberglass liner in our pool is over twenty years old and I fear it will delaminate if we drain the pool. This would open a big can of worms since its my strong desire to re-plump the pool as well!

These algae growths are concentrated in areas I've always suspected had poor circulation and my pool was built in a era when electricity didn't cost $0.50/kWh.

Eggs. Probably frog's, but eggs nonetheless. Just keep removing them as they appear. It is NOT related to mustard algae.

Seriously?! Please, somebody else confirm this so I know Dave isn't messing with me! My gracious that would be an insane relief! It could also explain the physical location as it is nearest where we've rescued some sizable toads.

If this is true, I should be able to back off to normal operations again right?

Ok.

I'm so very relieved. So just keep brushing, stop worrying about extracting the stuff and maintaining high FC. It will be ok if the DE catches this stuff as we can assume it isn't self productive then?

And maybe try and set up a camera and catch the copulating culprit?! How are we speculating the eggs are being deposited? By swimmers or over the edge drops?

Frankly I still don't understand how these eggs might have ended up similarly arranged on the interior of my Dolphin.

Re: Please identify this stuff appearing in > 20ppm FC

Although a little googling does not look like frog eggs ... more like some kind of mite or bug eggs

- - - Updated - - -

How big is that patch? And where in the pool are they located?

Here's a higher resolution picture with a metric scale included for reference. How about maybe a water bug? As to locations, usually in the top couple of feet (meter) on the shady (South) sidewall of the pool.

This is a rectangular pool with an East-West orientation, the deep end to the West (with a 4' ledge along the West wall). The highest concentration (around half) has been in the South West corner which has the least direct sun and possibly the least flow as well. Maybe around 15% of the spots occur in the opposing corner (North East). The remaining spots are distributed mostly along the South wall and less so along the West wall which happens to host the light niche. The strange thing is that the steps which enter at the South East outside the otherwise perfect rectangle, have extremely poor circulation but fairly substantial sun exposure, are not as impacted as the aforementioned corners.

On average, we seem to have around twenty or so of these spots distributed as mentioned above around the pool every morning.

P9130302.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If we're talking about eggs, I'd rather not have bugs or other things living in my pool! Clearly the higher FC hasn't been much of an impact, is there something else I should be doing? Full disclosure, there is a canal flowing 100' behind the pool and black phoebe who may be guilty of dipping its beak in both our pool and the canal.

If they are eggs, it would have to be a small animal as for a number of days in a row, I would remove the light daily and find them inside the niche. Eventually, I just left the light sitting on the ledge under the niche rather than remove it daily.

Just scrap them off the surface (credit card?)
They would be direct deposit, not bombed from the surface ;)

I've been holding the vacuum hose near spot, and then with a silicone caulk finishing tool, scraping toward the vacuum. Most of the time a single swipe does the trick, and it doesn't seem to stick to the rubber tool. I then keep the tool on the vacuum hose end while rubbing the resulting clean area with a trichlor puck "just in case." When I'm finished every morning, I sterilize the tool and hose.

I seriously hope I can stop this nonsense although it has been good for apnea training!

Here's another photo where, because of the direct sunlight, the specular highlights on each little ball (or egg if that's what they are) really helps to see them more three dimensionally:

P9130313.jpg

Get some sticky fly paper and line it up around the edge of the pool where this is happening. Unless it's something that is flying in, you might catch it and find out what it is, then you can figure out how to deal with it.

After some consideration, I don't think they are frog eggs, so the question then is.......are they eggs? Yes, I think so?

I am virtually certain it is not algae but I am not nearly as certain they are actually eggs.

(amazingly good pics.....perhaps we have a marine biologist in the group that can solve the mystery.)

Some closer pics to support the egg theory and help any biologists anyone can share these with to identify. I had to actually go swimming to get these so was able to get a little more macro although this is still a challenge. I tried to get some backlight in case an embryo might show but wasn't able to identify any. Figure each egg is around 300µm long and maybe 100µm wide.

P9130338.jpgP9130357.jpgP9130359.jpgP9130367.jpg

I agree the beetle eggs you linked are the closest I've seen so far, but they are spherical and opaque whereas mine are translucent and elongated.

I have captured a number of the eggs into a small bucket and will attempt to hatch them although I hold little hope for pulling that off successfully!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.