Please help with leveling question (photos attached)

TVC123

Jun 25, 2020
Milwaukee, WI
Good morning. Thank you for all your help thus far. So we drained our pool and are releveling the ground. Right now we’ve dug the pavers and set them so they’re all level. Do we have to also clear the ground and make that all level? We don’t mind the bumpiness or unevenness of the ground. If we put the pool down now on the level pavers, since the ground is higher than the bottom of the legs will that be a problem for the bladder? Will it cause the legs to bow out or will it just redistribute and be fine? We’re only keeping this pool up for 2 months. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    868.4 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 47
How are you determining that the pavers are level .. laser or water level? Check your high and low spots in the middle - If the ground under the liner is wavy or bumpy by an inch or so either way it will be fine, I just installed an 18 round this way with 3/4 foam underneath and you can hardly notice the slight contours is the floor. Legs are level and visually pool and water look great. That said if it’s more than an inch or so, or the unevenness is real close to the outer edge of circle, can’t promise it will be perfect.

Reactions: TVC123
Also I set my pavers after I had a few inches of water in and hand spread all of the wrinkles out of the floor. Took the time at that point to make sure also every leg was level vertically. I placed a board next to the leg under the tee to support the weight and free the leg, set the paver height with my water level, then dropped and vertically leveled the leg, Then rinse, repeat. With just a few inches of water the support board can be inserted and raised by hand.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

Good job leveling the pavers. It looks like many of the pavers are 2-3" below the ground level and some are deeper. Normally you would level the ground to match the height of the top of the pavers. The Intex liner is flexible and will lay on the ground for support. I'm a little concerned that overall the ground between the pavers is too high. In your case, you may be able to add another 2" thick brick on top of all the bricks you have there already to make up the difference.

I did not look at the pictures that carefully - looking at them again I agree that is too much difference from far side to the deeply sunk pavers on near side. I would remove all that sod and try to cut some of that dirt out. You don’t need to go crazy especially if you put foam under but try to get within an inch of level under the pool. Get a piece of lumber and tape a 4 foot leve to the top, drill a hole in one end and steak it in the middle of your circle with a length of rebar. You can swing that around taking dirt off a little at a time til you get it down. It goes faster than you think.

The problem with just adding another paver is you have what looks to be several inches offset between far and near side, making you unlevel all in one direction. Even though you may get the pool to look level with level pavers, that much offset will cause the pool to want to tilt to one side, your legs will slide on the pavers when the pool is used, and you’ll constantly be fiddling with the legs to keep it from starting to look tilted. An inch or even a little more you can get away with but that looks like too much to just add another paver on the low side and be done with it. I’d suggest getting the ground to at least within an inch, put down any underlayment you plan on using, find the highest spot and dig that paver even with the top of the underlayment, then work your way around leveling the rest. (You don’t want to end up with a paver up above the underlayment and then have the liner rub on it when your pool is sloshing around full of happy guests.)

Thank you all so much. We ended up digging v our a bit on the high side to even it our a bit more. Not perfect but didn’t want to have to rent a sod remover. But it’s definitely way better. Now I think we’re within an inch and maybe 1.25” all around. The floor is bumpy but we’re fine with that. Thanks again all of you for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.