LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2007
West Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone. I have an older 16,000 gallon in ground plaster pool. This year these stains popped up. I thought they were from the neighbors leaves etc from their trees. I super shocked the pool and brushed my heart out. They are still there. Any idea of what I can try next. The appear to be a rust brownish color. Thank you for any insight.

Attachments

• IMG_9679.jpeg
    IMG_9679.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9678.jpeg
    IMG_9678.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9677.jpeg
    IMG_9677.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: millspap
Those look like tanin stains from something falling onto the pol lfloor and moving around (like an acorn or seed of some type). Usually we think of these as organic, but some items have other trace particles. Try either of the following:
- Run a stain with a chlorine tab or sprinkle some cal-hypo on it.
- Try rubbing a stain with a Vitamin C tablet.

Let us know what happens.

Thank you. I have tried Vitamin C, it did nothing. I will have to buy a chlorine tab or cal hypo, I only use liquid. It’s super chlorinated, I’ll have to wait until it is safe to enter. Is there another way to get those in there without getting in the pool?

Reactions: Texas Splash
Very likely they are organic then. Testing with a puck or cal-hypo "should" confirm. If so, then maintaining a consistent/elevated FC level with brushing should help to eliminate them.
I will purchase a puck. I keep my pool CYA at 40 and my FC at 4. I brush often and nothing has made them even a bit lighter.

I keep my pool CYA at 40 and my FC at 4. I brush often and nothing has made them even a bit lighter.
I suspect an FC of 4 isn't even close to having an impact. An elevated (SLAM) level of 16 is safe with a CYA of 40 as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. So if the puck (or cal-hypo) test is positive, increasing the FC somewhere between 10-14 may provide better results over time.

I suspect an FC of 4 isn't even close to having an impact. An elevated (SLAM) level of 16 is safe with a CYA of 40 as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. So if the puck (or cal-hypo) test is positive, increasing the FC somewhere between 10-14 may provide better results over time.
I generally have my FC at 4, I super shocked and currently have it over 20 trying to scrub the stains to no avail. Are you saying to increase to 10-14 for the long term? No fertilizer in the area.

Are you saying to increase to 10-14 for the long term?
Not quite yet. Try the puck or cal-hypo test first. If either of those work, then you know it's organic and can consider maintaining a slightly elevated FC level for a week or two. But no need to go crazy high over one's appropriate SLAM FC level.

Not quite yet. Try the puck or cal-hypo test first. If either of those work, then you know it's organic and can consider maintaining a slightly elevated FC level for a week or two. But no need to go crazy high over one's appropriate SLAM FC level.
I will try the puck, some of the stains are on the side of the pool, the cal hypo would just slide right down.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not have anything to fertilize. However, my cameras picked up my neighbors yard guy spraying and using some powder or similar to the tree right by my pool.

I think it is fertilizer. How do I treat it?
Do you happen to have the bag still around? It would help to know what the ingredients label listed. Or if you know the exact brand of fertilizer, we can try to look-up the SDS online to find the ingredients. Many fertilizers have iron in them which is another reason why the Vitamin C tablet test "should" have worked. I believe some fertilizers may have copper though, so it's best we try to find the ingredients if possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.