Please help i am losing my mind

antr

Apr 29, 2019
Long Island NY
I keep getting a large vortex in skimmer causing the system to get air. Pool store is saying g that the system is pulling air from somewhere causing the vortex. I see no leaks visually. no water anywhere. 1.5 hp pump no variable quad cartridge filter system. The setup is about a3 months old. Pressure gauge used to read 15psi steadily and now its staying at 7 to 10 psi. With little water coming out of the air relief valve on top of te he filter tank to release air. Store clerk said that the tank may have a hair line crack causing the air to suck in. Wouldn't that mean the suction line could possible be sucking air somewhere? The filter tank always seems to have some air in it ...is that normal. Usually about 3 seconds worth when I crack the relief valve. Please help.

Flap is working fine. They said my pool didn't need it and I feel like it helps break. The vortex. Equipment pad is dry. all lines are dry. On another note.... i had to change another filter basket because all the vac pressure keeps breaking them with the sock on it

Water level is fine btw. I keep it high. There is a union under my skimmer basket. It's not leaking should I lube it again? If the drain plug was leaking on the tank water would come out as well correct?
Yes, the filter is on the pressure side of the pump. If the pump is on, the filter is under pressure.

Did you get a new oversize pump recently? What you're describing sounds like it's pulling more water than the plumbing can furnish. There should never be so much suction that the skimmer basket breaks. Nor should the weir interfere with the water flow.

Is the skimmer the only inlet to the pump? Is there only one skimmer? A 1-1/2 HP pump seems excessive for only a single shimmer feeding it and I could see how it would pull air if that's the case. If the pump is also pulling from a main drain you could make sure that supply valve is open and maybe close the skimmer valve some to see if the reduced flow at the skimmer may stop the vortex.

I need to take it from the top. ....what are causes of vortex and obviously they are bad
There's one cause: water leaving faster than it can enter. You've removed the weir. You have high water. We still don't know how big the pump is, nor even what type of pool it is.

I'm signing off this thread until we see some answers to OUR questions. Fill out your signature and perhaps even post a few pictures of the equipment and maybe we'll be able to help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.