Plaster repairs for pool - need advice (pictures included!)

carrieme

Bronze Supporter
Aug 12, 2020
New York, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi! Would I be able to get some opinions on what would be the best way to go about fixing this pool up?

We purchased a foreclosure and have drained and pressure washed the pool. It's currently sitting empty as we are trying to assess to figure out next steps. The concrete pool was probably built in the 80s-90s. We are on an extremely tight budget so potentially will even DIY this ourselves. We are first time pool owners but my FIL is a builder so they have guys who can do the labor if we figure out the how-to. They suspect it has been patched before....what does TFP think?? How big of a job are we looking at here....

Some additional details:
Pool size: 43ft x 25ft (shallow end ~4ft/deep end ~10ft)
There is a in-ground spa and a waterfall that are all connected that will also need to be repaired.

Thank you!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-09 at 1.22.50 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-09 at 1.22.50 PM.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 70
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-09 at 1.22.46 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-09 at 1.22.46 PM.jpeg
    674.4 KB · Views: 69
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-09 at 1.22.55 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-09 at 1.22.55 PM.jpeg
    612.5 KB · Views: 65
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-09 at 1.23.04 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-09 at 1.23.04 PM (1).jpeg
    560 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 66
Looks like those big heavy rocks are putting a lot of stress on the plaster (or shell, depending on what that surface is). If it's plaster then it probably needs to be re-done; after removal, you'll be able to tell if there's any damage to the shell.

My first response was where is the plaster? I thought I was looking at shotcrete/gunite without plaster on it??
My second thought was I LOVE the size and depth of that pool!

I've never been a fan of odd assorted rocks sitting around a pool unless one lived in the desert, so perhaps as Keith suggests you may be better off without them there? Would certainly update the pool's visuals.

Have you had any pool folks come assess? Ask for quotes and see what they say needs to be done. We can help you decide what is doable by you and what may need to be hired out. A good plaster job is something best left to the pros.

Please keep us updated, ok?

Maddie

My first response was where is the plaster? I thought I was looking at shotcrete/gunite without plaster on it??
My second thought was I LOVE the size and depth of that pool!

I've never been a fan of odd assorted rocks sitting around a pool unless one lived in the desert, so perhaps as Keith suggests you may be better off without them there? Would certainly update the pool's visuals.

Have you had any pool folks come assess? Ask for quotes and see what they say needs to be done. We can help you decide what is doable by you and what may need to be hired out. A good plaster job is something best left to the pros.

Please keep us updated, ok?

Maddie

We've had a few pool guys come out to assess and give quotes and they all said it gunite/shotcrete with plaster. And that the existing plaster had additives mixed into it to increase durability. And we have the one guy we chose to do all the pressure testing but its taking him a while to get back to us with the quotes for the rest of the work. We are also having a few other pool guys come to bid for just the refinishing job just to see what it is going to run and get their opinions as well. I'd love to be able to find the right guys for the job and it will ultimately come down to budget though....there's a lot of work to be done on this property so we really can't afford to sink it all into the pool renovation.

As for the rocks, those are mortared all around including a small waterfall and on the other side, there is an in-ground spa and another larger waterfall. The property was built on on outcrop of rocks so the boulder look does fit in with the feel of the space. I'll attach a picture of an image of the pool it its hayday-this is what we would love to restore it back to!

Attachments

• IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 33
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.