plaster cracks: replaster or more extensive experts needed?

Bperry

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Aug 20, 2020
Knoxville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
My pool is 20 years old, and I’m assuming has been replastered at least once as I discovered the removable return nozzles were embedded in plaster and couldn’t be removed. I’ve got a sinking deck as shown here at the far end of the picture.
image.jpg

And opposite the deck near the steps I have two cracks going up the wall that are filled with white epoxy, but look like may be growing.
image.jpg

And now I’m noticing a crack in the floor since the water is so clear (thanks TFP!) which looks like it’s heading to the wall crack. It’s a bit hard to see but it’s close to the bottom center of the photo. The sinking deck is to the left in this photo.
image.jpg

It appears at very least the plaster needs to be replaced. But the sinking deck has me concerned that more than just plaster age is my problem. The sinking portion of the deck is built on what I’d guess is backfill since my yard slopes down pretty fast behind there. Are cracks like these normal for old plaster and is leaking water a likely culprit for my deck sinking, or could it be the other way around?(sinking deck is putting pressure on the shell and causing a crack? I want to make sure whoever I hire will be experienced enough to tell me if I just need a plaster job or if there’s something else going on.

Horizontal and vertical cracks like that are NOT normal. The fact that you have a sinking deck as well tells me that the ground is no longer stable around the pool. If you removed the plaster I would almost bet that the concrete shell is cracked. You need to find a structural engineer that can come in and analyze what’s going on. Since your pool is on a natural slope, the ground may be moving and you will likely need to install some kind of stabilizing structure like a retaining wall. It’s really not a simple issue and requires a professional engineers opinion. The cracks in your pool are symptoms of a larger problem, not just an issue of aging plaster.

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats and proavia
This is a serious situation, the pool is showing signs of movement and you have a good size slope on one side of the property. It appears that the hill side may be moving and the repercussions are directly influencing the structural integrity of the pool shell. This may have been going on for a long time with little change but it appears that it’s not stopping , this explains the patches on the walls of the pool.

Horizontal and vertical cracks like that are NOT normal. The fact that you have a sinking deck as well tells me that the ground is no longer stable around the pool. If you removed the plaster I would almost bet that the concrete shell is cracked. You need to find a structural engineer that can come in and analyze what’s going on. Since your pool is on a natural slope, the ground may be moving and you will likely need to install some kind of stabilizing structure like a retaining wall. It’s really not a simple issue and requires a professional engineers opinion. The cracks in your pool are symptoms of a larger problem, not just an issue of aging plaster.
That’s the kind of feedback I was needing. Thanks.

I can handle a retaining wall myself if that’s the kind of thing that will help. I also suspect a small water leak after a bucket test last summer. So leaking water could be causing the soil to move?

One of the pool plaster companies I contacted (I suspect they built the pool back in 2000) said they would require the deck to be repaired before they plaster. I’d think I want to figure out what’s causing the crack before I poured a new deck which would mean chipping away the plaster and inspecting the shell? I wouldn’t want to pour a new deck and then have to tear it up fixing a broken pipe. Is the expertise I need going to be found at a big pool builder or is that a niche specialty engineer I need to find?

You can get a leak detection company to verify the location of any leaks. A dye test may reveal where the cracks are leaking and they can test the plumbing as well.

But, at the end of the day, this is likely a big renovation job. The deck is probably going to have to come out, the plaster taken out and the cracks repaired along with an engineer figuring out how much the soil is moving and the best way to shore up the area around the pool. If there is serious sub-structural soil erosion, that will need to be fixed as well. This isn’t a simple pool renovation, it’s a major under taking.

I’d think I want to figure out what’s causing the crack before I poured a new deck which would mean chipping away the plaster and inspecting the shell? I wouldn’t want to pour a new deck and then have to tear it up fixing a broken pipe.
But, at the end of the day, this is likely a big renovation job. The deck is probably going to have to come out
Being such a big renovation job, you could consider using 24" x 24" pavers when rebuilding the deck or another size paver that fits your design. Later on down the stream of time you need to dig something up, then you just have to lift the pavers, as necessary, fix the issue then pack the dirt and put the pavers back down. Just a thought.

Being such a big renovation job, you could consider using 24" x 24" pavers when rebuilding the deck or another size paver that fits your design. Later on down the stream of time you need to dig something up, then you just have to lift the pavers, as necessary, fix the issue then pack the dirt and put the pavers back down. Just a thought.
Yep, that might be a better choice than the concrete, it’s just that the whole backyard area around the pool has the concrete cut-into the landscape and is still perfect.
image.jpg

Do they make large pavers that kind of look like concrete so I could only replace the portion that’s moved? I suppose maybe there’s a way to design a way to make it not look stupid with old against new?

Is it an insane idea to saw-cut the deck portions that moved into smaller “pavers” that can be removed, fill in the settled soil with rock, then replace the sections as smaller pieces? I suppose I’d have to figure out how to make coping and bond it to the shell since it would not really be a cantilever design anymore. That’s really a design and money question separate from how to fix the cracks and keep any solid from moving further.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.