Pink algae

davewalker

Jul 21, 2021
Northern Ohio
New here and am looking for any reason for pink algae. I have a 22,500 inground pool and use Baquacil instead of chlorine, more expensive I know, but enjoy the positives from it. In the past two or three weeks, I have developed pink algae. Treated it yesterday with extra strength algicide and two pounds of non chlorine shock. I keep brushing it daily. What might be causing the growth of this pink algae? Thanks in advance

Welcome to TFP :)

The reason for it is Baquacil does not kill Algae... Chlorine kills algae.. Algicide does not kill Algae, it is used to try and prevent an outbreak..

I am very sorry you are you having issues with your pool.. When you want to have a trouble free pool we will all be very happy to help you change over to chlorine... There are many who have done it and have never looked back and have beautiful pools now that are safe to use..

Reactions: Mdragger88
IF you plan to stay with Baquacil, to get rid of the white mold you'll need several gallons of Oxidizer, Line Cleaner if you can find it and the non-chlorine powder shock. You will need to tear down and clean your filter. Most likely a sand filter? You'll need to pull off the multi-port and clean it as the mold will hide everywhere. You'll probably need to replace the sand. The internals in the filter buried in the sand will need cleaned. If you have a big pool light in a housing (niche) you will need to pull it out and clean it. There isn't one thing that Baquacil has created to get rid of the white mold and their costs are skyrocketing.

I had a baquacil pool from 2006 until May 12, 2021(the day I was finally converted). I have only a 13,700 gallon pool and have been battling the white mold gunk since 2018 -every year about this time the pool would begin to cloud, gunk began to appear in the pump basket and every time the slide was turned on, stuff would start flowing out. It would get so cloudy you couldn't see a few feet down, nothing would clear it and pool store was no help. I dumped so much baquacil chemicals in the water would taste and feel bad. With Sanitizer jumping $5 to $49 for 1.5 qt bottle this year I just couldn't take it. I probably spent $1,500-$2,000 the last couple summers, each, to swim for 4 months. In 2018, I found this community looking for guidance. They suggested then to convert.

Unfortunately, I never found a Baquacil community like these great people here. Since converting to a TFP pool, swapping to a DE filter, Salt Water Generator and also wiring in a timer, my over all costs and time have dwindled. While not a fan of the chlorine smell, I have gotten used to it. I constantly get comments of how clear the water is, how great the water feels. I test daily or at least every couple days. With the SWG, my test numbers have stabilized so that I feel I could leave it for a few weeks and it would be the same when I returned. PH is the only thing that has fluctuated which is simple to maintain as well. Since June 1st, I have only added 1 qt of Liquid Chlorine and a little acid to bring down pH.

I’ve never even heard of pink algae. I’ve seen pink biofilm before though. I must google now. Best of luck to you though. I know nothing about your type of pool sanitizing unfortunately.

IF you plan to stay with Baquacil, to get rid of the white mold you'll need several gallons of Oxidizer, Line Cleaner if you can find it and the non-chlorine powder shock. You will need to tear down and clean your filter. Most likely a sand filter? You'll need to pull off the multi-port and clean it as the mold will hide everywhere. You'll probably need to replace the sand. The internals in the filter buried in the sand will need cleaned. If you have a big pool light in a housing (niche) you will need to pull it out and clean it. There isn't one thing that Baquacil has created to get rid of the white mold and their costs are skyrocketing.

I had a baquacil pool from 2006 until May 12, 2021(the day I was finally converted). I have only a 13,700 gallon pool and have been battling the white mold gunk since 2018 -every year about this time the pool would begin to cloud, gunk began to appear in the pump basket and every time the slide was turned on, stuff would start flowing out. It would get so cloudy you couldn't see a few feet down, nothing would clear it and pool store was no help. I dumped so much baquacil chemicals in the water would taste and feel bad. With Sanitizer jumping $5 to $49 for 1.5 qt bottle this year I just couldn't take it. I probably spent $1,500-$2,000 the last couple summers, each, to swim for 4 months. In 2018, I found this community looking for guidance. They suggested then to convert.

Unfortunately, I never found a Baquacil community like these great people here. Since converting to a TFP pool, swapping to a DE filter, Salt Water Generator and also wiring in a timer, my over all costs and time have dwindled. While not a fan of the chlorine smell, I have gotten used to it. I constantly get comments of how clear the water is, how great the water feels. I test daily or at least every couple days. With the SWG, my test numbers have stabilized so that I feel I could leave it for a few weeks and it would be the same when I returned. PH is the only thing that has fluctuated which is simple to maintain as well. Since June 1st, I have only added 1 qt of Liquid Chlorine and a little acid to bring down pH.
Thanks Matt. Yep every year about this time, white water mold or algae of some kind. I might consider switching over next spring. I see your from Bluffton. I'm up here in Archbold. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Thanks Matt. Yep every year about this time, white water mold or algae of some kind. I might consider switching over next spring. I see your from Bluffton. I'm up here in Archbold. Enjoy the rest of your summer.
Nice village, been there many times. The Barn still a favorite restaurant, was there a few weeks ago after seeing the new 'town' at the Village to the North.

Here was my step by step, almost day to day conversion: May the fun begin - conversion of 15 yr Baquacil pool
Its long but very documented on the process. I know there may have also been some CDX in the water still but I can say, I am much happier and have less stress walking out on the deck, wondering if I would be able to see the bottom or not. The attached pictures were from 2017 when it started to get bad. All chemical levels were almost perfect but who wants to swim in this? 1st pic is the pink/white mold on the first step, 5 inches of water and still cloudy. 2nd pic is of my robot, hiding at the bottom of 7ft of cloudy water. Took 3 more seasons to give up on baquacil.

If you decide to switch next spring, you'll want to find a good source for liquid chlorine 12% (sometimes 12.5%). It can be from any of the residential water treatment companies that service softener systems. Now is the time to read up and educate. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry - Trouble Free Pool and a must for conversion is TFTestkits.net TF-100 Test Kit with the XL option for testing FAS/DPD CHLORINE & CC'S.

I was in your position last summer, hesitant to switch especially since it was like learning a who new language or at least a different dialect!

Attachments

• 20170709_123546.jpg
    20170709_123546.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170727_174951_001.jpg
    20170727_174951_001.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 17
New here and am looking for any reason for pink algae. I have a 22,500 inground pool and use Baquacil instead of chlorine, more expensive I know, but enjoy the positives from it. In the past two or three weeks, I have developed pink algae. Treated it yesterday with extra strength algicide and two pounds of non chlorine shock. I keep brushing it daily. What might be causing the growth of this pink algae? Thanks in advance

I’ll start by echoing the cheer to switch to chlorine. That said, I’d say you’d be crazy to switch this late in the season. You’re looking at about a two week process to convert and may only have four or five weeks left in the swim season…….depending on weather/equipment pad. So let’s try to pinpoint why you’ve got yucky water.

Can you post a full set of results like your sanitizer and oxidizer levels?

Reactions: anthonypool89

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice village, been there many times. The Barn still a favorite restaurant, was there a few weeks ago after seeing the new 'town' at the Village to the North.

Here was my step by step, almost day to day conversion: May the fun begin - conversion of 15 yr Baquacil pool
Its long but very documented on the process. I know there may have also been some CDX in the water still but I can say, I am much happier and have less stress walking out on the deck, wondering if I would be able to see the bottom or not. The attached pictures were from 2017 when it started to get bad. All chemical levels were almost perfect but who wants to swim in this? 1st pic is the pink/white mold on the first step, 5 inches of water and still cloudy. 2nd pic is of my robot, hiding at the bottom of 7ft of cloudy water. Took 3 more seasons to give up on baquacil.

If you decide to switch next spring, you'll want to find a good source for liquid chlorine 12% (sometimes 12.5%). It can be from any of the residential water treatment companies that service softener systems. Now is the time to read up and educate. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry - Trouble Free Pool and a must for conversion is TFTestkits.net TF-100 Test Kit with the XL option for testing FAS/DPD CHLORINE & CC'S.

I was in your position last summer, hesitant to switch especially since it was like learning a who new language or at least a different dialect!

Thanks Matt. I'm going to seriously consider switching over to chlorine next spring.
Btw, the Barn and Village is less than a mile away for me. You probably drove past my house and might have run across my wife since she works at the Soda fountain/ice cream shop at the 1920s Village.

Reactions: Matt_PEBKAC_Oh
Btw, the Barn and Village is less than a mile away for me. You probably drove past my house and might have run across my wife since she works at the Soda fountain/ice cream shop at the 1920s Village.
Yep, had me one of them thar fancy chocolate shakes.

If you plan to convert, this is the place for answers and encouragement. The recent recorded webinars have been very informative. The test kits spoken here are top notch, easy to use even for a colorblinded joe like myself.

Hope you can enjoy your pool for the rest of the summer.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Line Cleaner if you can find it
It's readily available.
and the non-chlorine powder shock.
Line Clean is essentially non-chlorine shock.
I’ve never even heard of pink algae
Pink slime, as found in pools, is not algae. It's an airborne bacteria.
I have developed pink algae. Treated it yesterday with extra strength algicide and two pounds of non chlorine shock. I keep brushing it daily. What might be causing the growth of this pink algae?
I've had it over the years, but not for quite awhile. Have you been using any test kits that measure the level of oxidizer and sanitizer? Do you also have white water mold?
every year about this time, white water mold or algae of some kind.
I did also - until I started to use Line Cleaner. If you do have an interest in continuing with baquacil, I'd be glad to help since I think I found a chemical regimen that seems to be working very well. Water is clear all the time.

he reason for it is Baquacil does not kill Algae.
Not true. The baquacil system includes an algicide product which I've always found to be effective. Plus, the Sanitizer is also an algicide. Not certain about the specific ingredients of each.

Also, as I already mentioned, pink slime is not algae. Being bacteria, I won't argue that chlorine likely kills that plus whatever else gets in the pool more effectively than baqua chemicals. This is why I'm now a firm believer that the use of the standard 3 baqua chemicals - algaecide, sanitizer, and oxidizer - in and of themselves will not keep the water continually clear and/or free of mold and/or slime. I have 20+ years of using baqua to back up this statement. I firmly believe additional products are needed - and then must be added in a carefully monitored, non-haphazard manner. There used to be a product called "Assist" that was the 'big gun' of the baquacil line when it came to fighting mold and slime, but it was discontinued several years ago. I really like the product called "Ahhsome" and also, since last season, Baquacil Line Clean - which DOES seem to essentially eliminate both of those (mold/slime) issues. Is it 100% effective over the long term? Can't speak to that since I've only been using it since last year, but I do know the water has never felt (or smelled) as fresh. It reminds me of when the fresh fill went in following my '14 renovation.

There isn't one thing that Baquacil has created to get rid of the white mold
I would venture to say that Line Clean - used as a weekly maintenance dose (but NOT as indicated in the instructions which is way too much) - might just be the answer to this. I see no evidence of mold ever since using Line Clean starting last year. For me, 1/2 lb. for my 12,500 gallons once a week seems to be working. I had high hopes for Ahhsome - but that product alone, in my opinion, does not fully control the mold/slime situation. It helps - but I think it's not quite enough.

have been battling the white mold gunk since 2018
Matt, are you indicating that from 2006 till 2018 you had no problem with mold or slime? Had you ever used "Assist" during those 12 years? Just curious cause I think around '18 is when that product was discontinued.
While not a fan of the chlorine smell, I have gotten used to it.
So you're suggesting that you DO have a chlorine smell??? I seem to recall many here telling me that there is no odor, no sticky feeling after swimming, etc.... The Line Clean has a fairly strong odor (reminds me so much of (what I associated anyway when I was still using it) chlorine. After about 2 hours following the 1/2 lb. addition, however, you barely notice it. I like it actually - water just smells so fresh and clean. Best water quality I've had in years. Seems a shame to go through the conversion process solely for the chance that it might help with the length of the filter cycles. Other advantage, of course, would be less products to worry about keeping track of. Plus, of course, I can't argue about cost. Biguanide = expensive for sure.

Matt, are you indicating that from 2006 till 2018 you had no problem with mold or slime? Had you ever used "Assist" during those 12 years? Just curious cause I think around '18 is when that product was discontinued.

So you're suggesting that you DO have a chlorine smell??? I seem to recall many here telling me that there is no odor, no sticky feeling after swimming, etc.... The Line Clean has a fairly strong odor (reminds me so much of (what I associated anyway when I was still using it) chlorine. After about 2 hours following the 1/2 lb. addition, however, you barely notice it. I like it actually - water just smells so fresh and clean. Best water quality I've had in years. Seems a shame to go through the conversion process solely for the chance that it might help with the length of the filter cycles. Other advantage, of course, would be less products to worry about keeping track of. Plus, of course, I can't argue about cost. Biguanide = expensive for sure.
No, I never used Assist. I tried the Awesome product but it didn't remove everything either. Line Cleaner may have helped but still found the gunk in other areas. I believe that by 2018, my Baquacil AD system finally died. I was adding in a calculated amount of Oxidizer, Sanitizer and Algicide nightly which I could easily adjust. It helped regulate the levels similar to having a SWG system now. If I was gone for a week's vacation or so, not getting chemicals in can lead to trouble, just like any pool sanitizing system would. That is probably when troubles started each year and exploded by August.

As far as the smell of chlorine, I only smell it on a suit or my skin if I get really close. Walking around the pool or even in it I rarely notice the smell unless I 'try' to zero in on a certain smell. With the SWG system and salt in the water, skin never gets agitated or feel the need to go hose down like from a public or hotel pool.

My conversion was out of frustration.... no assistance from supplier or manufacturer of Baquacil to keep using the product. That, on top of cost to purchase and the hour round trip in the car to the only supplier in 30 mile radius. I felt the need to buy a few boxes (4 jugs ea) of each product needed to keep the 'shipping' costs down some. Just was getting too expensive. When it was good, it was a great swimming experience.

I wish all a great and safe swimming experience no matter how you treat your concrete pond. I just now have to figure out why the water level is higher after a swimming party.... ;):laughblue:

OK……let’s pull back and focus on Dave, the OP a of the thread.
Dave, been awhile since you started the thread. Has the water improved? If not, can you post some test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.