pH not changing. Bad acid?

sean.a.hyde

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I just opened my pool.
Before I added any chlorine, I measured my pH at 8.0 using both my electric meter and the color match drop test in the TF100 Kit.
I have most of a jug of 31% acid from last year
To get it down to 7.4, Pool Math said to add 3 cups of 31% acid, so I added approx 3/4 quart.
I let that mix in, and then added 10ppm of liquid chlorine.

As the sun was going down, I checked both levels.
Chlorine was showing 9.5ppm (CC = 0.5)
pH was still showing 8.0, so I added another 2 cups of acid.

This morning, I tested again.
Chlorine is still 10 (CC=0.5)
pH is STILL showing 8.0.

Something I'm missing? The acid still certainly has vapors that don't smell pleasant... though maybe it is not quite as noxious as it used to be? It definitely still made some bubbles on the cement, but I guess it could just be much weaker.

. Is the pH measure still accurate at chlorine at 9.5 and 10ppm?
Yes, it is unaffected at that range and affected less than people think even up into the teens. Nevertheless, the accuracy starts to lessen when FC goes above 10 ppm so it's always good policy to test pH when FC is less than 10 ppm.

Reactions: setsailsoon
How old is your calibration fluid and what brand/model meter are you using, how old is it? Electric pH meters are not usually interfered with by high FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How old is your calibration fluid and what brand/model meter are you using, how old is it? Electric pH meters are not usually interfered with by high FC.
Could be you had a buffered solution in your pool at pH 8? @JoyfulNoise Matt, is this possible?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.