PH keeps increasing

mdames

Apr 7, 2017
Northridge, CA
My 16K gallon pool's PH rises a little each day. I am constantly having to add muriatic acid several times each week to keep the PH at the proper level (7.4 - 7.6). However, this has caused my once very high TA to drop to 70. If I add baking soda it will raise the TA but my PH rises as well. My CSI is in an acceptable range (-.19 to + .26), depending on when I measure it. The calcium hardness is 425 and steady. my CYA is 100. My free chlorine is good at 3ppm. My pool was re-plastered last December. Why does my PH continue to rise? Will it ever stabilize? Any help with this is appreciated.

Mike

I took a more recent measurement of my CYA and it is actually at 150~. I know that is very high. I've been using trichlor tabs and trichlor shock. Which, is obviously making my CYA too high. But the problem is that if I use regular liquid chlorine my PH will go through the roof, due to the high PH of the liquid chlorine. My PH keeps rising when I use trichlor. With liquid chlorine I'll be adding MA every day! Is there some way I can keep my pool chlorinated without dramatically impacting PH?

Some pools live at 7.8 pH, that is where they are happy. And it is perfectly safe to swim in. You seem understand CH, TA and CSI so you are in good shape.

With that high of a CYA you need to think about replacing some water, keeping your FC that high would be cost prohibitive to most people. You can continue to use tirchlor if you want but please understand what it does to the rest of you numbers and pay attention to the CYA/FC relationship.

But the problem is that if I use regular liquid chlorine my PH will go through the roof, due to the high PH of the liquid chlorine. My PH keeps rising when I use trichlor. With liquid chlorine I'll be adding MA every day!

I'm not the local chemist of this fourm but I'm almost 100% sure liquid does not cause PH to rise any more than trichlor if it even causes it to rise at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mdames, you should set up your signature. Look at the bottom of AftonJeepers signature and try to add as much info as you can. This way the experts can advise you better.

With a CYA of 150, it is way too high. 100 would be very high. I've read where experts recommended draining about 25% of your pool to lower your CYA but wait for an expert to recommend this here.

Based on previous advice and threads, I would stop using the trichlor pucks ASAP and switch to liquid chlorine. TFP is based on BBB (Bleach, Baking Soda, Borax) and it is the easiest way to maintain your pool. Liquid chlorine or Bleach alone does not increase PH, based on my brief experience and according to TFP experts. Borax raises PH and Baking Soda raises Alkalinity with a very slight increase in PH.
See this link. https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/122-what-is-tfpc-bbb

Also, post full results from your Taylor test kit like this.
FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

I appreciate your responses. Liquid chlorine has a PH of 12. So adding it does increase PH in the pool. TriChlor has a low PH so it does not increase PH in the pool. I have removed the TriChlor tabs and started using liquid chlorine. After using the liquid chlorine, my current results are:

FC - 8.0
CC - 0
PH - 8.0
TA - 80
CH - 425
CYA - 100

I had my CYA tested by two different stores and they came up with 100, not the 150 I was getting. So my current FC should be just adequate in relation to CYA. My PH is now at 8 since I raised my FC with liquid chlorine. I'll adjust it down to 7.6 with MA tonight, and then monitor it. My CSI, once I get the PH down to 7.6, will be very good. With the cost of water very high in So. Cal. I think I'm going to wait and see what happens to the CYA over time. As it becomes necessary to replace water through evaporation it will eventually have some effect on the CYA level. By the way, I have no algae and my pool is crystal clear. Thanks again everyone. Also, I have added all the pertinent information into my signature, going forward. Thanks for the advice.

hi mdames
your fc level is still too low
the cya test only goes to 100 so pool store will tell you that you have 100 even if you have 500
my pool is happy with ta at 60 and ph at 7.8
the lower the ta (to a point) the less your ph will rise, down around 30-40 the ph tends to swing high and low
dont be afraid to let your ta go lower
do you have a spa or waterfall as this will lead to rapid ph rise

Liquid chlorine, aka bleach, DOES increase the pH at first, however as it's used up the acid that's created lowers it back down to where it was before......thus equaling each other out making it pH neutral.

Trichlor/dichlor is acidic, and will lower pH with regular use.

Don't trust any test from the pool store. Trust only your Taylor test kit. Is it the Taylor k-2006? When you conduct your CYA test you should do it with the sun behind you and the sample pressed against your stomach while you are looking down at the black dot that eventually disappears.

You must set up your signature by listing your equipment..etc. This way the experts can help you without guessing what you have. For example.. someone trying to help you would need to go to your first post to know that you have a 16k gallon plaster pool. We don't know if it's inground or above. This should be included in your signature.
Don't get sidetracked by thinking liquid chlorine raises PH. Domct203 mentioned that it does raise it at first but goes back to where it does before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.