pH keeps dropping

patriot_tech

Aug 8, 2010
Akron, Ohio
Ok here's a question hopefully someone can help with. I don't know if I have a problem or not.

I recently found this site and began using borax to raise pH, since I found it was low with my new drop test kit.

I have added a total of 4 boxes of borax over the last 2 weeks. I added 1 and pH came up to 7.0, so I added another and it went to 7.4. A couple days later the pH went to 7.2, so I added another box and it went back to 7.4. After another couple days it was 7.0, so in went another box.

Do I have a problem or is this normal. removed my Nature2 cartridge a couple days ago and am adding 12.5% bleach for chlorine.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

bk406

Dec 3, 2009
Central Massachusetts
Can you post a full set or water test numbers?

FC
CC
TA
CYA
CH

Sounds like the TA might be low, but we really need to see some numbers first before any advise can be given. How have you been chlorinating all season?

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
As BK says, we need to see some numbers. If your TA is low it'll drive your pH down BUT, we need to see all the numbers before we start making assumptions as to what's going on.

patriot_tech

Aug 8, 2010
Akron, Ohio
Here are my results as of this evening:

pH = 7.4
FC = 2
TA = 90
CH = 240
CYA = about 15....Just added 4 lbs a couple days ago. How long should I wait to get an accurate reading?

Any ideas?

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
Are you keeping the pool covered alot? With a TA at that level and using a solar cover, it's not uncommon to see the PH drift down. Adding CYA will also lower it a little bit.

patriot_tech

Aug 8, 2010
Akron, Ohio
The cover is on every night. If it is used during the day the cover does not go back on until the evening usually. Where should TA be? Should I just continue with the borax?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
It sounds to me like your pH will stabilize from here on out. I think it took you two additions to get it where you wanted (not uncommon) and then you needed one more to compensate for the addition of CYA.

Please do not worry about TA. Simply monitor your pH and add borax as needed to maintain where you are. I think you are fine and your adjustments are about complete.

PS - if pH swings by .2 or so, leave it alone. Do not lower it until it reaches 7.8.

patriot_tech

Aug 8, 2010
Akron, Ohio
Ok I'll monitor for a couple days and see what is happening. Thanks for all the help.

BTW, I rigged up a pump / timer to feed bleach each evening and it is working great thus far. If I get the opportunity to snap some pics I will post.

Thanks again all!