PH inside SWG

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
I read somewhere before on TFP about the difference between the PH in the pool and the PH inside the SWG but I can’t find it anywhere. I’m curious is it higher or lower inside the SWG as opposed to the pool and by what “approximate” value? What are the factors that affect the difference. I understand how PH fluctuates in the pool and the factors that affect it. Just wondering if it is the same when considering the PH inside the SWG.

The pH inside the SWG is much higher. If there are no borates in the water, the pH of the water nearest the cell plates can easily rise to over 10.5 or higher. This has to do with the formation of hydroxyl ions (OH-) and the intense aeration of the water. If borates are present in the water at a concentration of 50ppm or higher, then some of that hydroxyl ion will get absorbed by the boric acid/borate buffer system and the pH can be held down around 9.5 or less.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.