pH - how low is too low?

Brett S

Mar 15, 2019
Orlando
So my water has stayed pretty well balanced over the summer. My pH would typically be around 7.6 and my alkalinity stayed around 80. However, as the temps have been starting to cool a bit here I brought out my solar cover and my pool has been mostly covered for the past couple of weeks. I tested my pH today and I was surprised to see it at 7.0 (or possibly even a little lower, since my Taylor test only goes down to 7.0). My alkalinity is still at 80.

I’m not sure how bad the low pH is. It seems that everything that would raise the pH will also raise the alkalinity and I’m not sure I really want to raise my alkalinity much. Can I leave it at 7.0 or would I be better off to put in a few pounds of soda ash to raise the pH and the alkalinity?

So my water has stayed pretty well balanced over the summer. My pH would typically be around 7.6 and my alkalinity stayed around 80. However, as the temps have been starting to cool a bit here I brought out my solar cover and my pool has been mostly covered for the past couple of weeks. I tested my pH today and I was surprised to see it at 7.0 (or possibly even a little lower, since my Taylor test only goes down to 7.0). My alkalinity is still at 80.

I’m not sure how bad the low pH is. It seems that everything that would raise the pH will also raise the alkalinity and I’m not sure I really want to raise my alkalinity much. Can I leave it at 7.0 or would I be better off to put in a few pounds of soda ash to raise the pH and the alkalinity?
If you use borax or aeration, it won't affect TA much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.