PH dropping daily after filling pool.

Tim_B

May 8, 2018
Denver, NC
My PH keeps falling off the chart. Just setup and filled (county water) last Wednesday (5/24/19). Everything was fine for 3 days, now it wont hold PH and FC is dropping pretty quick. Water is clear. Water temps are 80F at dawn and reaching 86F by Dusk. Air temps are pretty high this week, lows 68F and highs 94F. Pool is in direct sun all day. I'm running the pump/filter 16 hours a day (8 during the day, 8 at night). Here is what I've done since opening the pool:

Thursday 5/23/19 10am:
FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.0
TA 20
CH 20
CYA 0
water temp 70F
I added 18 oz dry stab in sock, 38 oz of 6% bleach, 5 oz of borax, 54 oz of baking soda and Put solar cover on.

Friday 5/24/19 8pm:
FC 3.5
CC .5
PH 7.2
TA 80
CYA 30
water temp 82F
I added 24 oz of 6% bleach and Removed solar cover.

Sunday 5/26/19 10am:
FC 2.0
CC .5
PH Yellow
TA 80
water temp 82F
I added 38 oz of 6% bleach and 23 oz of Borax.

Monday 5/27/19 10am:
FC .5
CC .5
PH Yellow
TA 40
CH 20
CYA 30
water temp 80F
I added 32 oz of 10% bleach (target 6) and 24 oz of Borax (assuming 6.8 to 7.4).

I don't know why the PH keeps dropping. I also see my TA dropped from yesterday. We have been swimming a lot the last two days, to hot to do anything else. I'm assuming the FC drop is from the sun, heat and swimmers. Anyone have an idea on what's going on here?

IMG_7050.jpeg

Last edited:
You are doing the right thing. Your pool is being enjoyed which uses FC so stay on top of that and keep FC in the zone. Your TA is dropping with the splashing and when and refilling the water. Use pool math to keep your TA in the desirable range. High use requires frequent testing and additions but high use is why you chose to install your pool so enjoy your oasis. :swim:

You are doing the right thing. Your pool is being enjoyed which uses FC so stay on top of that and keep FC in the zone. Your TA is dropping with the splashing and when and refilling the water. Use pool math to keep your TA in the desirable range. High use requires frequent testing and additions but high use is why you chose to install your pool so enjoy your oasis. :swim:

Sounds good, thank you!

Please post test results vertically instead of horizontally. It makes them easier to read.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp

What is the pH, TA and CH of your fill water?

TA will not drop with splashing. It will drop if the TA of fill water is lower than pool water and/or with additions of acid. Splashing will cause pH to rise do to aeration.

What is the pH, TA and CH of your fill water?

TA will not drop with splashing. It will drop if the TA of fill water is lower than pool water and/or with additions of acid. Splashing will cause pH to rise do to aeration.

The first results I posted was before anything was added. I haven't topped off with any water since the initial fill.

Thursday 5/23/19 10am:
FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.0
TA 20
CH 20
CYA 0
Temp 70F

You have very soft fill water. Your TA will always be dropping as your refill, aim for a TA of 90-100. As for FC keep the levels up and anticipate heavy use by adding extra bleach before use not after.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for editing your post - much easier to read.

Your results from this AM show TA at 40. Use PoolMath to calculate how much baking soda to add to get TA to about 80 to 100. Wait about 30 minutes after adding the baking soda and retest TA and pH. You want to hopefully see pH in the 7's range... 7.2-7.8. If TA comes up and pH is still too low, you may need to add borax (yes, the 20 mule team stuff) to raise the pH (TA will also go up a little). You could add soda ash to raise both TA and pH at the same time, but it may be easier to find baking soda and borax separately.

Also add chlorine to a target of 6 ppm - with a CYA of 30, target is FC 4-6 and minimum is FC 2. You never want the FC to get below 2 with a CYA of 30.

Thanks for editing your post - much easier to read.

Your results from this AM show TA at 40. Use PoolMath to calculate how much baking soda to add to get TA to about 80 to 100. Wait about 30 minutes after adding the baking soda and retest TA and pH. You want to hopefully see pH in the 7's range... 7.2-7.8. If TA comes up and pH is still too low, you may need to add borax (yes, the 20 mule team stuff) to raise the pH (TA will also go up a little). You could add soda ash to raise both TA and pH at the same time, but it may be easier to find baking soda and borax separately.

Also add chlorine to a target of 6 ppm - with a CYA of 30, target is FC 4-6 and minimum is FC 2. You never want the FC to get below 2 with a CYA of 30.

I added bleach and borax after testing this morning. I'll add some baking soda now for the TA. Thinking of upping my CYA to help with the FC burn off. I'm not used to the pool being in full sun, It was mostly in the shade the last 2 years. Last year I put bleach in every other day. If I have to add everyday I may get a SWG.

It sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Retest after adding the baking soda and adjust chemicals as needed. Based on your fresh fill test results, I think you are going to have to adjust TA and possibly pH upward on a continuing basis.

If you are going to raise the CYA, use the sock method. Don't just dump the stabilizer in the skimmer. Add enough to get to CYA of 50. You can easily add more if 50 don't quite do it for you.

If you are going to raise the CYA, use the sock method. Don't just dump the stabilizer in the skimmer. Add enough to get to CYA of 50. You can easily add more if 50 don't quite do it for you.

Sock is in the pool in front of the return. Heading out for the day. I'll check the water again tonight and see where we are. Thank you for helping out!.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.