Perma Salt system and pool is Green

lynnieo

Apr 5, 2021
Springfield, TN
Moved from here.
Hello. My name is Lynn. We recently purchased a new home in Springfield, Tennessee that has a Perma Salt system. This is all new to us. I went on Family Leisures pool school and they suggest the pool opening/whole season package which is $429.99!!!!!! My husband (and I ) just about had a heart attack!!! What can you suggest that I can purchase to open my pool? it is currently green :(

Hi Lynn! Welcome to TFP. I think we split this off of your intro post.

Yeah, you’re gonna love it here. We’ll get you up to speed as cheaply as possible, while still being true to science. You’ll also learn how to maintain your pool using easily available chemicals instead of proprietary ones.

The first thing is the elephant in the room. The Perma Salt system. This is a copper based mineral system. Not good. You want to use chlorine to sanitize your pool. And maintaining proper chlorine, or FC - free chlorine, levels is easily done with bleach or a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG).

You’ll need to do two things. Buy a recommended test kit and follow the SLAM Process. Read it about 3 times before you proceed. Don’t skip any steps and ask us questions along the way. But first thing is you’ll need to remove the chemical pack from the Perma Salt system and be done with it. For the test kit, I recommend the TF-100 from Tftestkits.net. Or get a TF-Pro which comes with the Smart Stir, which is practically an essential item. It’s super helpful at mixing while you add reagents.

I’m sure this is a lot to take in so I’ll pause here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.