Perma salt chemical question

Iv been reading in this forum for quite awhile( we just had our 24 ft installed last year) and my question is this, the chemicals we received from family leisure are outrageously over priced for what they are. I have to use 3 chemicals every two weeks but am wanting to outsource dofferdcent chemicals that are cheaper. The theee I have to use are two bags labeled initiate and reactivate and a bottle of kilerate. From what Iv read, the perma system isn’t well received here so I’m betting and hoping someone can help and understand why I want cheaper chemicals ☺️

It's been awhile since I've been active on the forum but yes, the Perma Salt system stinks. What I can't remember off the top of my head is the steps to take AFTER you order a TF100 or a Taylor K-2006. If you go to the "Advanced Search" under the search box, upper right of the screen, search for Perma Salt and you will find several threads that discuss it. Also, I believe there is an article in Pool School that discusses Alternative Sanitizers.

Welcome to the Forum!

I’m not wanting to actually get away from the system as it’s done me well for the last two seasons and it’s already paid for. What I’m trying to source is cheaper chemicals. For the initiate, reactivate, and the kilerate in an 8 pack supply, it sets me back $400. I just need cheaper chemicals so that I can run the system longer or add more chemicals if needed (say the pool goes green for some reason)

I’m not wanting to actually get away from the system as it’s done me well for the last two seasons and it’s already paid for. What I’m trying to source is cheaper chemicals. For the initiate, reactivate, and the kilerate in an 8 pack supply, it sets me back $400. I just need cheaper chemicals so that I can run the system longer or add more chemicals if needed (say the pool goes green for some reason)
Contact the company directly and ask for the SDS sheets. Maybe they'll tell you what's in each and how much. I kinda doubt they'll be specific enough to be useful.

I tried researching it and they're pretty tight-mouthed. What I figured out off the website is that it is a saltwater chlorine generator that runs at a low salt concentration. It adds copper and silver as algaecides. It adds cyanuric acid to protect the chlorine it generates. There's borates in it, they claim for algaecide, but I suspect it's for pH control. The kilerate is a powdered form of chlorine we all know -- Dichlor-- and Oxone, which is just Potassium Monopersulfate. Proportions of each, unknown. It probably has some borax in there, too, as dichlor is really acidic.

Good luck. If you DO get SDS sheets, can you post them here? Or PM them to me? It would add a lot to the general store of knowledge here to know what precisely is in that stuff.

The cost is part of the reason why you will get the same answer from the members on the forum. Most members here spend less than 150 a year to maintain their pool. I couldn't imagine spending 400 yearly on anything to keep my water clean.

Ontop of that there are a handful of things in your permasalt system that are a big no no around here the worst being copper. We avoid copper like wearing socks with sandels. Copper in your pool water is about the worst thing you could do.

If you want cheaper chemicals you can't get much cheaper than 12 bucks a month on chlorine and nothing else.

I've never had a green pool 3 years running not even in the spring after pulling my winter cover. Not even a hint of green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.