Pergola over large pool

Timmyb

Nov 4, 2021
riverside ca
I owner built my pool and it came out lovely. However I live in riverside where it is quite hot and extremely sunny. My pool is full sun exposure so it’s not enjoyable to hang out too long while the sun is searing from above.

I’d like to install a pergola to get some reprieve from the sun but also add a nice cozy atmosphere. My pool is 17.5~‘ wide, and if pergola posts were installed on the coping the span would be roughly 18’ (although probably only 14’ if a knee braces are used).

So my initial question is can pergolas even be installed on bond beam? Obviously the there wouldn’t be tons of reinforcement and strength so the pergola would be well anchored.

If this is not advised I would need to cut into and dig footings in the brick deck adjacent to the pool, which would then increase the span an extra foot to approximately 20’ and 16’ of knee braces are used).

I’m just looking for some support in wondering if this is practical.

I had made a nice wood pergola at my last house which spanned the width of my driveway which was 16’ wide, and didn’t use knee braces for it. It was holding up very well before I left.

Thanks!

One thing to think about with the pergola is will your feather friends hang out and then use your pool as their bathroom. I hear ya on the sun, we have 100% sun exposure too. NJ vs Cali though.

One thing to think about with the pergola is will your feather friends hang out and then use your pool as their bathroom. I hear ya on the sun, we have 100% sun exposure too. NJ vs Cali though.
They probably will, and frankly I’d prefer it over unrelenting sun. Probably would still take less chlorine to nuke the extra organic matter than have the sun burn up the chlorine

Personally, I would not want any structure attached to or sitting on bond beam. 20' is more than doable, as pergolas have little to no roofing weight. Mine is built with 35' between outer end supports and hurricane rated. Not that this design would fit your needs but to show that free standing options are possible.

Attachments

• 0711221617.jpg
    0711221617.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 25
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.