Pentair Warrior SE

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
I launched Xena the Warrior Princess tonight. Trying to understand her ways.
The data/instructions are slimmer than I thought. I know it a base model and not a lot of programmability but I was expecting a little geek talk as to the patterned program. Guess it is smarter than me and I don't need to know how they have programmed her movements, and the frequency she does them. Anybody seen literature with a diaphragm of her pattern?
When she seems to be dancing in place she'll adjust herself in tight turns to get a little different direction.
Then she'll move forward and back 2-3 feet like 5 times in a row. And I catch her doing a little bit of a wheelie. Trapped air?
Back and forth 5 times over a small area -- attempt to scrub well?
Then she'll take a run and go up to tile line but not much lateral movement.

Do you think, in two hours, it hits every surface of the pool reachable? And if it does, that is just random repetition? There is not an ability to map like the high end Dolphin product.

Glad to have it though!

I do not believe there is any 'high end' robot that maps a pool. The Warrior certainly has no ability to map as far as I can see. Bump a wall, do this, bump a wall, do that. Any programmed pattern gets messed up by an irregularly shaped pool. Hitting a wall at an angle causes it to turn slightly and then the programming will sometimes turn it back onto the same path it was on, over and over.
Don't get me started on the wall climbing feature. Just a cheap party trick. Well, maybe an expensive party trick. Climbs the same 3 or 4 areas all the time, goes for a few feet, 10 seconds or so, and then gives up and backs down and that's on a featureless area of wall. If it encounters steps, seats, etc, it'll stop and grind away at the same spot for that time not knowing it's progress is stopped.
The good news is that it pretty much covers the entire bottom of the pool in the 2 hours and does a good job of picking up anything it encounters. Glad to have it, better than manually vacuuming, but don't believe the mapping and wall climbing hype.

Congrats on the new robot:) I just got a Warrior SE a couple of weeks ago and so far I love it. I agree with @revitup that the robot’s mapping abilities are very overrated. They work similarly to roombas where a lot of their movement is random and even if they miss a spot during one run they will likely get it on the next.

On a side note, some of the newer roombas do actually do true room mapping now, but the ones that do have a camera to help them build the map and find their location on their map. I don’t think it’s possible to do real mapping without a camera or supplemental sensors of some sort.

A couple of quick thoughts...

I think the wheelies it does are intentional and it seems like that’s one of the ways it turns. It will do a little wheelie and then turn as it’s still up in the air.

While there aren’t a lot of features on this model it does offer ‘automation mode’, which allows you to plug it into a WiFi (or otherwise) controlled outlet. It will then start a cycle as soon as it receives power, so that way you can use a home automation system to automate the robot as well. I have mine set up this way to run automatically at the same time every day and I can also use Alexa to start an adhoc job whenever I want if I notice that the pool needs a little extra cleaning.

Finally, if you haven’t yet, go to Pentair.com and register your product and submit a copy of your receipt because they have a $50 rebate offer on the Warrior SE that’s good until 9/30/20.

I can say that in one cleaning cycle, it does NOT get all areas of my 20x40. Still does a good job getting most of it, but I usually have to run 2 cycles to get everything cleaned.

Sometimes I yell at it when it's heading for a dead centipede on the bottom of the pool, it'll stop inches short of it and then head off in the other direction.

Ha!
Thanks for all the input.

1. The back and forth 5 times in a few feet made me wonder if it has this as part of its program to randomly grind a spot every so often.
2. I quickly saw how uncanny it was that it went up a wall in the same spot more than you think "random"
would allow! I think it will take weeks to scrub 360 waterline if 3 cycles on Day 1 is any indication
3. There is an offering coming that includes mapping, likely "Good in Theory"
Maytronics - iO Line (video there with the annoying triumphant music)
--------------------------------------------
NEW QUESTION
Who here thinks it is important to be running your pool filter at the same time for particles disturbed, but not trapped by robot, to be available to the pool filters?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.