Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Good Morning
With apocalyptic cold stretching its icy fingers my way, I've discovered, by way of a @Dirk suggestion, that my filter when set on "filter" is leaking water (think a trickling stream) through backwash exhaust pipe when the pump is running. This is my first notice of the issue, and may be do to using the backwash cycle to lower the pool level due to recent rains in cold weather. What to do? My first thought is to take a heat gun and warm the selector valve, hoping to reseat the gasket because there is not enough time to replace before the freezing weather. Would prefer not jumping on an emergency pool winterizing at this late date but...as the late, great philosopher Roseanne Roseannadanna would say, it's always something.

I wouldn't use a heat gun as I would be concerned about distorting the valve body. You could lift the top off and check the gasket. Maybe apply some pool lube to see if that helps? Otherwise, just keep the MPV in recirculate for 2-3 days until the hard freeze passes?

@Texas Splash, does "recirculate mode" take the filter out of the loop? If so:

Even a trickle can be a lot of water. Can the drain hose make it to the pool? If may freeze, or not, or it may freeze and thaw each day, but that may be a way to keep from losing water out of the pool. It'd be a similar suggestion as leaving it in "recirculate mode," except by leaving the filter in "filter mode" water will continue to run through the filter. You don't want the filter to freeze, as that could blow apart the filter.

Alternately, you could use "recirculate mode" and then drain some water out of the filter, to give it some expansion room should it freeze.

I wouldn't use a heat gun as I would be concerned about distorting the valve body. You could lift the top off and check the gasket. Maybe apply some pool lube to see if that helps? Otherwise, just keep the MPV in recirculate for 2-3 days until the hard freeze passes?
Thank you. You and @Dirk have some good ideas. Am investigating
@Texas Splash, does "recirculate mode" take the filter out of the loop? If so:

Even a trickle can be a lot of water. Can the drain hose make it to the pool? If may freeze, or not, or it may freeze and thaw each day, but that may be a way to keep from losing water out of the pool. It'd be a similar suggestion as leaving it in "recirculate mode," except by leaving the filter in "filter mode" water will continue to run through the filter. You don't want the filter to freeze, as that could blow apart the filter.

Alternately, you could use "recirculate mode" and then drain some water out of the filter, to give it some expansion room should it freeze.
@

Unless I'm misunderstanding the situation, my thought of using recirculate was to allow water to move to/from the pool but bypassing the filter altogether until such a time where any potential water leaks (i.e. drain valve) could be confirmed. Probably more than one way to attack this issue.

@Dirk @Texas Splash . I'm reluctant to take apart the valve for inspection as it may uncork more issues than time allows to remedy. So I'm thinking of adding PVC (unglued) to the existing pipe to stretch the hose to the pool. I will have to add two 90 degree elbows to accomplish this. Anyone see a probnlem?

I'm thinking of adding PVC (unglued) to the existing pipe to stretch the hose to the pool. I will have to add two 90 degree elbows to accomplish this. Anyone see a probnlem?
This is for your backwash line correct? If so, I don't see an issue since there is no real pressure build up concerns.

I encouraged @mcleod to use a 1.5"-PVC-slip-to-hose-bibb-thread set of adapters instead of extending his flat drain hose with a run of additional PVC pipe. That way, he can use a garden hose to get to the pool, which will be less likely to freeze shut.

There are several ways to connect a 1.5" PVC pipe to a hose, it's just a matter of wandering around the plumbing dept at Lowes to see what they have in stock.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.