Pentair Pool Light Replacement Options

Mar 26, 2017
Naples/FL
Our pool has two Intellibrite 5G 12V lights and two Colorcascade Color LED Bubbler lights. Both 5Gs and one of the Colorcascades have died in the last year and our pool service company has been very slow due to the amount of Hurricane Ian work they've had. We've also had a quote for the bulbs, and to put it mildly, they're quite expensive especially through the pool service company.

After a lot of web searching, the best I can come up with is that the Colorcascade has to be purchased as an integral unit with a (100' in our case) cord and for the 5Gs, I can buy an integral unit with cord, Intellibright replacement light engines that mount inside the housing or I can buy Sunseeker replacement replacement light engines.

If anyone has experience with these options, I would appreciate advice on:

1) Replace the whole unit vs replace the light engines.
2) Use Pentair light engines vs Sunseeker.
3) We currently have color 5Gs but never use anything other than white. Any reason we can't or shouldn't replace the color light engines with white.

Thanks in advance.

I have had 2 sets of 3 (6 lights) Pentair globrite lights all die for the same reason. When they are manufactured, they pot the tube that holds the circuit board. The process of potting these ( pouring in epoxy) causes the light housing to crack and they all failed from this. (I have pictures of the cracks that form at the base of the lights.) I switched over to S.R.Smith lights. The S.R.Smith Treo 2 watt micro light is a perfect fit replacement for the globrites. S.R. Smith also makes a 5watt light that I will be getting once the last of the globrites die. My pool is small so two 2 watt lights and one 5 watt will work fine and they are FAR cheaper than the Pentair lights. The pentair intellibrite controller will work with these lights but will not set the color correctly. S.R. Smith has their own controller but if you're ok with just switching the lights off and on a few times they will sync and that works good enough for me. It just doesn't make sense to pay the crazy amount that Pentair wants for their crappy lights that only last about 2 years.

The S.R.Smith Treo 2 watt micro light is a perfect fit replacement for the globrites.
Since the SR Smith light uses a standard 1-1/2" threaded fitting, how did you get them to stay put in the Globrite adapter?

Would love to find an alternate to the Globrite, as mine are beginning to fail and I am no longer under warranty.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.