Pentair Minimax 400 Heater - Firebox repair - time to replace the heater?

Dec 6, 2010
Bluffdale, UT
I think it is time to replace my heater...

I have a Pentair Minimax 400 with the PowerMax hood, that is about 22 years old, so I know I am living on borrowed time with it already...
Recently I noticed some soot marks on the top of the heater, near where the hood vents. The heater just stopped running, and when I opened the control panel to look behind it, it looks like the firebox has a section that has broken out of the top of one of the walls. The inside of the heater is scorched, and some wiring has melted to the inside body of the heater. Also, the igniter module looks like it has started melting.

Is it worth even trying to repair? A new heater is going to run me about $3000, but by the time I replace the firebox ($350-400), igniter module ($150) and wiring ($50-100) I'll have put $600 into a 20+ year old heater.

Any recommendations on a new 400,000 BTU heater? Do you have one that you recommend, and why?

Reactions: jbocaneg
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.