Pentair Mastertemp 400 - not lighting/igniting

freebsdrules

Sep 3, 2019
delaware
Hi all-

I'm having issues with my heater again, unfortunately. Last year around this same time (fiting), I had issues that I was able to solve with you all's help (https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/mastertemp-400-shutdown-issue-e05-error.193404/). Many thanks!

This year the issue is a bit different but would love your thoughts. The heater has had no problems this year until now. All of a sudden I noticed it was not on after turning it on in the morning and the service heater light comes on. No error codes on front of unit. When I power it off and turn it back on, the blower turns on and then it clicks like it's trying to ignite but nothing happens. It cycles through this a few times and then turns off and the service heater light comes on.

I checked underneath on the board and no control board lights come on aside from E11. Checked and the red LED on the Fenwal ignition control module is not on or blinking. I just ordered a new igniter and gasket replacement kit. Chance are it's this? What else should I be looking at?

Thanks again in advance!

It cycles through this a few times and then turns off and the service heater light comes on.

I checked underneath on the board and no control board lights come on aside from E11. Checked and the red LED on the Fenwal ignition control module is not on or blinking.
If the "Service Heater" light is on, there should be an error LED on the back of the board or something on the Fenwal ignition module.

Is the Fenwal LED on steady, 1 flash, 2 flashes or 3 flashes?

Pentair_MasterTemp_Firemans_Switch.jpg

If the "Service Heater" light is on, there should be an error LED on the back of the board or something on the Fenwal ignition module.

Is the Fenwal LED on steady, 1 flash, 2 flashes or 3 flashes?

No error on LED on the back, aside from LED 11 as originally mentioned. LED 9 is green if that makes any difference. Nothing on the Fenwall LED either (no light at all).

Pictures attached. Any more ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• 4A1F8390-BECD-4187-8A99-1C76FBA66EBA.jpeg
    4A1F8390-BECD-4187-8A99-1C76FBA66EBA.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 462AB0EA-F5DF-4B0A-9CF9-C953807B424F.jpeg
    462AB0EA-F5DF-4B0A-9CF9-C953807B424F.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 36
Can you show a video of the startup and attempt to ignite?

Is the water temperature reading correctly?

What is the set temperature?

Maybe remove one of the bottom manifold bolts to see if water is in the combustion chamber.

Can you show a video of the startup and attempt to ignite?

Is the water temperature reading correctly?

What is the set temperature?

Maybe remove one of the bottom manifold bolts to see if water is in the combustion chamber.
What exactly would you be looking for in the video (so I get it right)?

Water temperature looks right to me. In high 70s currently and set to high 80s.

Not really sure. Sometimes watching the process gives a clue.

Looking to see the display and listening for the process.

Ok, before I could get the video uploaded the igniter arrived. Installed it and fired right back up. Not sure if the old one was broken are not although dropped it while setting it down and it's definitely broken now (picture attached).

Should I be on the look out for anything else going wrong or call it a day for now?

Also, how tight should the gasket be? It broke/ripped on one side while trying to install too and slipped a little while installing. Should I be OK or should I try to get a new one and install?

Attachments

• igniter.jpg
    igniter.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 36

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Free,

before you button everything up I would look at that electrical connection box and make some repairs. There are a number of wires in there that have insulation damage and bare wires exposed. Also it appears one of the connectors got very hot and has turned black. See if you can figure that out. And at least clean that connector up. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure with these finicky eaters.

I hope this is helpful and good luck to you.
Chris

Reactions: freebsdrules
Free,

before you button everything up I would look at that electrical connection box and make some repairs. There are a number of wires in there that have insulation damage and bare wires exposed. Also it appears one of the connectors got very hot and has turned black. See if you can figure that out. And at least clean that connector up. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure with these finicky eaters.

I hope this is helpful and good luck to you.
Chris
Thanks, much appreciated!

That said, mind pointing out which wires? I can see any exposed and I think the black might be an ant 😀

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.