birdman579

Dec 18, 2020
Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an infinity edge pool with 3" piping for the 2 infinity edge pumps. I currently have 2 Whisperflo 3hp pumps. These were installed by the previous owner and wired directly to the circuit breakers. I think there used to be Intelliflo pumps connected to the automation based on how they are wired. These Whisperflo pumps are "dumb" so I have to use the circuit breakers to turn the pumps on and off (very bad). I could re-wire the entire power system and swap relays in my automation system, but there is lots of re-wiring needed for that. The existing pumps have the 2" inlets from the 3" pipes so big reducers are needed. The dual 3hp pumps are also really loud (not a whisper at all as the name implies) since they only run on one speed (full speed). Therefore, for all those reasons, I want to upgrade to variable speed pumps. I have Intellipro pumps for my main filter pumps and they are running well for 5+ years now. I don't care about mixing the black Intellipro with the almond Intelliflo.

I'm considering the Intelliflo XF and the "new" Intelliflo3. Both connect to automation and both have 3" fittings available. The wet ends appear identical. The Intelliflo XF has the older LCD screen with buttons that I am used to with my Intellipro pumps. The Intelliflo3 is all controlled via the App when in manual mode. The Intelliflo XF appears to have a slightly more powerful motor based on peak current draw (16A vs 12.4A). The price is nearly identical (~$100 more for the Intelliflo XF). So, which does anyone recommend? My main priorities are variable speed (both have), automation compatibility (both have), 3" pipe compatible (both have), and reliability/ease of maintenance. Is the Intelliflo XF going to be more reliable since it has more proven technology? Are there bugs still being worked out with the Intelliflo3? Which are easier to repair? I perform all my own pool maintenance and have replaced pump motors, seals, bearings, etc. You perform lots of repairs with 8 total pumps and sub-par folks performing previous maintenance. Ease of repair and ease of obtaining replacement parts is important.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
The 3 was designed off the XF wet end and both are very similar. I would get whichever you can get a better deal on.

The XF is easier to service and replace seals. The 3 needs to have the electronics completely disassembled to do the same repair.

Reactions: wireform