Pentair IntelliBrite vs GloBrite vs MicroBrite

I may be a little late to this thread to help you, but in case it helps others in the future. I’ve seen comments about microbite only being for accent light etc. My experience Says differently. Here are pics of my new pool. It is 4 microbrites in the pool and one in the spa. I think it is plenty of light and my pool is 20x44’

Wow - thanks for the pics. What color is your plaster? What is the depth of the pool? How did you arrive at four lights in the main body?

The pool builder told me that was the set up for the lights so I trusted them. Another pool builder wanted to use two intellibrites one on each end. That would have faxed directly towards the house so really glad I didn’t do that. It is a liner pool. It’s a gray granite and the depth is 7’6” deep end with an 8’ hopper and the shallow is 4’.

Reactions: AFPOOLS-Mike
Thank you. With a 16 foot wide pool then, would it make sense to place my lights opposite each other down the length of each side of the pool pointing directly at one another? What's ideal spacing between the lights? I don't want to end up with not enough or too much lighting. Without much available online showing actual installs of these lights it's hard to know how many lights are ideal.
They clearly go a lot more than 12 feet. Don’t know where that info comes from. As you can see my pool is 20 feet wide.

I hear ya. It’s amazing what “facts” different people in the field spout off. If it weren’t for heavy reading on this forum I would have believed all kinds of things that turn out to be not true. Just yesterday the local pool service experts said I should keep my free chlorine at 1.5 for a SWG pool

I may be a little late to this thread to help you, but in case it helps others in the future. I’ve seen comments about microbite only being for accent light etc. My experience Says differently. Here are pics of my new pool. It is 4 microbrites in the pool and one in the spa. I think it is plenty of light and my pool is 20x44’
Thanks for posting. My PB purchased 8 Glowbright lights before skipping out on us. He plumbed the pool with 1 1/2 piping so I am being forced to use microbright lights instead. My pool is 15x30 with a 7x6 tanning ledge off to the side plus a 12x12 spa. I have 6 nitches in the pool for lights, 1 in the tanning ledge and one in the spa. Looks like I should be fine on the swap out.

We are also looking at doing 4 microbrites on our 20 X 42 rectangular pool. How far under the water line are your microbrites?

We are also looking at doing 4 microbrites on our 20 X 42 rectangular pool. How far under the water line are your microbrites?
I know this is an older thread, but did you ever get an answer for how far under the waterline to put your microbrites @cbradle ? What did you end up doing? Are you happy with them? Getting ready to run all the plumbing for mine. Planning on 9 total microbrites in a 22 x 46 pool - 3 on tanning ledge, then one about every 6 feet the length of the pool.

@sadpoolguy, how do you like yours? Did they turn out ok?

I know this is an older thread, but did you ever get an answer for how far under the waterline to put your microbrites @cbradle ? What did you end up doing? Are you happy with them? Getting ready to run all the plumbing for mine. Planning on 9 total microbrites in a 22 x 46 pool - 3 on tanning ledge, then one about every 6 feet the length of the pool.

@sadpoolguy, how do you like yours? Did they turn out ok?
Pretty sure 18 to 24 inches is where they should be. They can be at a more shallow depth over a tanning ledge I believe. Basic calc for the lighting need is sq ft of pool body x 4 lumens. Each microbrite is ~500 lumens. So for a 22x26 pool we have 1012 sqft. Then 4 lumens per sq ft for 4048. 4048/500 is ~8 so 9 lights is definitely going to be plenty. I would say you could probably even go down to 8.

My pool is freeform 37x19 and I only have 5 and it is plenty bright. But as they always say... almost no one has ever complained about a pool being too bright so 9 would be amazing!

Pretty sure 18 to 24 inches is where they should be. They can be at a more shallow depth over a tanning ledge I believe. Basic calc for the lighting need is sq ft of pool body x 4 lumens. Each microbrite is ~500 lumens. So for a 22x26 pool we have 1012 sqft. Then 4 lumens per sq ft for 4048. 4048/500 is ~8 so 9 lights is definitely going to be plenty. I would say you could probably even go down to 8.

My pool is freeform 37x19 and I only have 5 and it is plenty bright. But as they always say... almost no one has ever complained about a pool being too bright so 9 would be amazing!
@joepaiii, Are yours at 18”? That seems really deep for some reason. I was thinking of putting them around 6”, but sounds like it need to reconsider that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@joepaiii, Are yours at 18”? That seems really deep for some reason. I was thinking of putting them around 6”, but sounds like it need to reconsider that.
I think that's about where mine are located at. But that's just where the pool builder puts their lights. I don't think I specified anything. From looking a the manual

1644102682417.png
I think you will be ok down to 4 inches.

Jandy has a great lighting design guide https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/sl/sl4572.pdf and since you are adding all the lights take a look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxer
Thanks for posting. My PB purchased 8 Glowbright lights before skipping out on us. He plumbed the pool with 1 1/2 piping so I am being forced to use microbright lights instead. My pool is 15x30 with a 7x6 tanning ledge off to the side plus a 12x12 spa. I have 6 nitches in the pool for lights, 1 in the tanning ledge and one in the spa. Looks like I should be fine on the swap out.
You should be able to see it from space

joepaiii,

I noticed you installed microbrites with your new pool a few years ago. How has your luck been with them?

I’ve got the old savi leds and one has burned out, so I need to do something. They usually only last a few years before problems occur. I’m looking for more longevity.

Thanks,
Bob

joepaiii,

I noticed you installed microbrites with your new pool a few years ago. How has your luck been with them?

I’ve got the old savi leds and one has burned out, so I need to do something. They usually only last a few years before problems occur. I’m looking for more longevity.

Thanks,
Bob
It has been pretty bad, have had 3-4 of them replaced under warranty by pentair. They don't typically fail outright but tend to lose a color which is annoying. I have a feeling I will be looking for some more long lived lights at some point. I also stopped letting my pool cycle through colors when the lights are on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.