Pentair Challenger pump replacement

VinceT

Aug 21, 2013
New Hampshire
My Pentair Challenger High Performance pump died (after only 3 seasons), 1.5 hp, Model CFII N1/343234. I'm looking into replacing it myself with the cost of replacing the whole pump being b/w $500-600. I called my pool installer to see how much they would charge for the job, but only received a phone message saying we could "upgrade" to a Whisperflo (they don't sell the Challengers anymore, but could replace just the motor). Does anyone know how the challenger compares to the Whisperflo and what are the differences? Can't really find any info comparing the two online.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me,

Vince

You could just replace the motor at close to half the cost. While you are at it, you could go with a two speed and save on energy costs.

But are you sure it just isn't a bad capacitor?

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'd like to try to replace just the motor, but am having a hard time finding one. Looks like an OEM Pentair motor is impossible to find. Are there any aftermarket motors that you would recommend? I have no idea if there are differences in quality/durability and how they compare to the OEM pump. I was also interested in knowing if the whisperflo is indeed and upgrade, and if so, what makes it better. I can't find anything online or on youtube that compares the two. Any info would be much appreciated as I have to make a decision very quickly.

P.S., I don't know what the capacitor is, but I presume it is the pump as it got very loud about a year ago and definitely sounded like there was something "mechanical" happening.

Also, the reason I was planning to change it for the same motor, as apposed to a two speed, is that I think I can change the motor myself but not if it includes modification to the plumbing or electrical. Are they all pretty much the same size so I could slip any "similar" pump. Does a two speed require changes to the programming of easy touch panel?

Vince

I would put the Challenger and Whisperflo in the same category. Whisperflo might be a bit more efficient. But really both are overkill for just filtering and circulation. They are more suited to a pool with a spa that requires high flow rate at high pressure.

But if you are interested in a motor, the Century B2982 should work fine with that wet end. With a two speed, low speed will use about 75% less energy than high speed so significant savings. The B2982T comes with a timer if you need that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.