Pentair Booster Pump LA01N - how to remove motor end cover?

mxp

Jan 19, 2021
California
Hello,
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to remove the LA01N motor end cover. I needed to get to the Start Capacitor and replace that. (NOTE: The capacitor in the "hump" on top of the motor is perfectly fine)

Unfortunately, I have now ended up breaking off the 4 long bolts at the back of the motor cover.
And, I still cannot get that motor cover off.

Can someone please help me?
Thanks in advance.

PS: It seems there is little or no information about replacing the Start Capacitor inside this LA01N booster pump motor. Most of the available information only talks about the Run Capacitor in the top "hump" replacement...
NOTE: The motor starts up for 8 secs and then cuts out. There is a foul smell that is definitely capacitor related. The motor shaft spins freely.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply James.

Unfortunately, if it is a motor replacement, just how difficult would it be to perform the swap?
Is there a good source/write-up of information which you can recommend me to read/view to learn more about it?

Looking at Amazon, I see the LA01N motor unit here: Amazon.com : AO Smith/Century Electric Pool Cleaner Replacement (Letro), PSC, No Base, Fits Pump #LA01N (March 1997 to Present), 0.75HP, 3450RPM, 230/115V, 6.5/13.0 AMPS, 1.5SERVICE Factor, Round Flange : Swimming Pool And Spa Supplies : Garden & Outdoor

Since I have not seen a video on this procedure, I cannot visualize how does the motor shaft connect to the impeller side?
The motor unit itself has 4 large bolts holding it up next to the impeller housing. I suppose the motor swap procedure does not require removal of the impeller itself?

Thanks for any advice and guidance...

The top capacitor is the only capacitor.

Time for a new pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.