Pentair Automatic Valve Logic Question

tucsontico

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2014
Tucson, AZ
I have a total Pentair system (see my Signature) with only one valve. It is an automated valve that either opens the flow to the floor cleaner or closes it and opens the flow to the normal circulation returns. I recently installed concrete pavers around my pool equipment for better drainage and during that install I had shut off the pool equipment via the Easy Touch breaker panel. After I finished the paver project, I re-energized the panel and tested everything (I thought) but I noticed today that the floor cleaners are not coming on but the panel is showing "Cleaner" is running. It appears as if the automatic valve may have failed or I accidentally messed up the switch logic for the valve. Any ideas out there on how to troubleshoot this?
:???:

First easy thing to check is most newer valve actuators have direction setting switch that can be used as a manual over ride, check the back of the Valve actuator if it has a switch it should be either in the extreme up or down position. Flip it the other way if the valve starts to move you know it still works and the problem is likely in the programming.

First easy thing to check is most newer valve actuators have direction setting switch that can be used as a manual over ride, check the back of the Valve actuator if it has a switch it should be either in the extreme up or down position. Flip it the other way if the valve starts to move you know it still works and the problem is likely in the programming.

Thanks for the reply! I just tried the switch and there is no movement. :thumb down:

Sounds like I need a new actuator. I'm guessing it is possible that the Easy Touch panel could be failing to send power to the actuator. Any idea how I can test the panel? :confused:

The panel should have a 3 wire connector inside going out to the actuator if I recall correctly the middle conductor is common, the 2 outside are powered on or off depending on the mode. So if you test with a multi meter set to AC from the middle conductor to one of the outside wires it will read 24VAC the other side will be off. Turn the cleaner on and the one that had voltage will go off and the other will now read 24VAC.

The panel should have a 3 wire connector inside going out to the actuator if I recall correctly the middle conductor is common, the 2 outside are powered on or off depending on the mode. So if you test with a multi meter set to AC from the middle conductor to one of the outside wires it will read 24VAC the other side will be off. Turn the cleaner on and the one that had voltage will go off and the other will now read 24VAC.

Thanks. I just re-read the Pentair EasyTouch install manual and was about to test the panel in the manner you suggested. I'll do that now and report on my progress.

Just tested the voltage on the EasyTouch panel to the valve actuator. It has good voltage, in fact, I accidentally shorted across the wrong pins (fat fingers!) and the low voltage circuit breaker popped on the EasyTouch panel. Looks like I need a new ComPool actuator :(. Oh well, could've been worse!

Thanks for the help!

Before you buy one I wold take the cover off the actuator and check the voltage at the toggle switch you may have hit the wire when installing the paves. If you do have voltage there then I wold say you need a new valve you don't have to buy a specific brand of actuator they are for the most part universal. I bought an intermatic online fairly cheap and am happy with it.

Sorry for the delay in responding. After re-testing the valve actuator by taking the cover off as you suggested, I determined the motor has died.

Inside the box is a capacitor and two micro switches. The capacitor that controls starting the motor and micro switches control the rotation of the valve. The capacitor was still OK and the micro switches were functional but the motor wouldn't turn. :mad:

Bought a replacement on Amazon.com for $135. Took <10 minutes to replace and all is well now! Thanks for your advice and help!
:salut:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.