Pentair Actuator acting strange

Thanks. Ignoring the discussion about the continuum transfunctioner and other mysterious and powerful esoteric upgrades for actuators, the basic information is pretty useful.

I'll make a couple of notes to summarize a few things:
1. The 24 VAC is simple 24 VAC (single phase). The first question in the other post is a little miss-leading as there is no +- 12 VAC involved.

2. The wires from the automation controller have a red, white, and black line. Black is ground, then red and white control whether the motor turns clockwise or counterclockwise. Put 24 VAC on one line and get rotation one direction. Put power on the other line and get rotation in the opposite direction.

2. The controller applies power to one wire for rotation in direction A and the other in direction B, but the controller doesn't actually know which direction is which as that depends on how the actuator is wired. The toggle switch on the actuator is used to sync the controller and the actuator. If the controller thinks A is clockwise, but the actuator turns the wrong way, then moving the toggle switch to the opposite setting will switch the motor wiring to the other power wire from the controller reversing the direction. I.E. If red from the controller goes to red on the motor and white to white, then switching the toggle switch will change it to red to white and white to red. Since the motor rotation is controlled by which wire gets power this reverses the rotation.

3. The limit switches interrupt the power to the motor. The limit switches are wired in "NC" or normally closed mode. This means that when the plunger on the switch is NOT pressed the switch is closed and conducts electricity. So when the motor is turning and the cam hits the switch it presses the plunger and "opens" the switch breaking the electrical circuit which stops the motor. But since the circuits for CW and CCW rotation are separate, this open switch only controls rotation one direction. Applying power on the other side (using the toggle or from the controller) uses the circuit going through the switch that is still electrically closed on the other side and the motor will rotate in the other direction until the other cam hits that switch and breaks the circuit for that rotation direction.

Hopefully this is a little helpful as I see a lot of posts talking about how the actuator works and there is good info above, but thought I'd add a little detail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.