Pentair 2000 Series DE Filter with a broken backwash valve issue

May 19, 2015
Burbank, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a pentair 2060 DE Filter. Probably around 30 years old. Pool service quoted me $250-$300 to replace the backwash ring or unit (whatever it's called).

The backwash valve at the bottom is a lever that is stuck and I was wondering what is the best possible way to clean the bottom of my filter without getting dirt back into the pool?

So what I ended up doing was this:

I measured the bottom of the DE Grid that plugs into the hole.
5456be3694.png

Then I found the closest PVC pipe that was slightly smaller than the actual pipe hole because I couldnt find the exact size.

9f90982805.png

I cut the PVC pipes 2 feet each, enough for me to place the pvc pipe into each hole without having to bend down too much and capped each top end so dirty water would flow through the top of the pipe.

Then I bought some duct tape and wrapped each pipe just enough to get a snug fit into the black intake hole which would have been occuppied by the DE filter Grid.

I filled water half way to see if I would get any bubbles, and I didn't, it worked perfectly.

:cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.