Paving: Trenchs drains vs pits?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
We are going to repave around our pool (including new coping). It will be 30mm pavers which will be the one level (plus falls). Currently there is a mess of steps and different levels. I plan to add drains between the pool and house. I'm tossing up whether to have floor wastes (like in bathroom), or whether to have drainage trench drains. Bother are feasible.

Everyone seems to have trenchs in their pool surrounds. Whats the reason? aesthetics? Ease of construction?

Trench style drains usually can be opened up to clean them out. A regular style waste drain I think would have a good chance of being clogged a lot.

Trench style drains usually can be opened up to clean them out. A regular style waste drain I think would have a good chance of being clogged a lot.

Good point. I would size any wastes adequately and make them easy to clean out, e.g. have a sump pit beneath.

Personally I find the trenchs a bit of a pain to clean. You have to clean them out along the whole length. I prefer to clean a pit.

The other thing to consider is the slope and levelness of your deck. Pavers are not level, close to level, and hard to keep level. It is likely without a drain running the length you will have areas with puddles. With pavers I think I would go with the trench. Concrete is a bit easier to pour properly with the proper and consistent pitch. With concrete I might be more apt to go with the other style drain.

Yes I have some old pavers the old owner laid which get a nasty puddle in the middle. Those pavers have a drain all along their length! so you can botch it whichever way you go.

For the pool, the pavers will be on a slab/screed. I will be surveying the levels to ensure I achieve minimum falls to the drains, whatever type I use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.