Patch New Return Fitting

cmeeks

May 4, 2017
Houston
I installed a new pool return. The 1.5" pipe is epoxied into the hole and I've installed the slip on fitting. All I need to do now is patch the inside face. I was planning to use hydraulic cement, but every time I mix it, it sets up within 2 minutes or less. What would you recommend using???

2yyd110.jpg

I patched a 68,000 gal pool with cements and mortars including 9 ports like that above and a couple new skimmer entries. Plus patching the removed ports. You may want to just find a slower setting cement, and utilize an acrylic bonding agent. It is pretty much the same waterproofedness (not a word) as hydraulic cement. Especially do this if you are going to re-line the area (pool paint, or some other membrane).

If you are just leaving the cement exposed at the location then you have to deal with hydraulic cement (which I have). My tips are:

1- Mask/Tape off the port
2- Mix a much bigger batch than is needed, smaller batches cure way too fast. There is waste.
3- Slob it on there as quick and dirty as you can to get full coverage and penetration. Don't worry about how it looks, just remember you only have 3 minutes. Use both hands and a stick and cram, jam, stuff and smear.
4 - Come back the next day and finish with a diamond cup on your 5/8" drive grinder.

Trying to get a good finish on hydraulic cement is pretty futile, unless you have another person working with you. Even then, I prefer the grinder method. Trying to finish often rolls the cement away from the face you are bonding to, I want a strong bond as the top priority.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.