Paramount water valve

Dec 27, 2018
Bradenton/Florida
I have a Paramount 6 port water valve that is not working. Took out the gear module and all looks fine. Removed the gear collar and found 6 balls covering 6 holes. How does this thing work? I see a cam that pushes the ball off the hole. Is there supposed to be some sort of gasket over these holes or what? Any help would be appreciated.

Does your gear module look like the one in this video?

Please fill out your signature with all your pool info. Have a look at mine for an example of what to include.

Can you post a pic of the outside of the valve and of the internals?

I'm not aware of a Paramount valve with acrylic balls. The older A&A valves have the balls. In the case of the A&A valve, there are no gaskets between the balls and lower housing. The only gasket is an o-ring between the two halves of the housing.

Reactions: KDpoolguy
I’ve had the ball valve style, but it was an A&A manufacturing valve.
If you can please clarify what is not working. Send a couple pics, one of the internal gear assembly and one from further back to show if it’s top or side feed. Is it leaking, not changing stations (most typical problem)?
When mine stopped working, the gear teeth were worn down and I replaced the gear assembly which was an easy fix. There is no gasket on each acrylic ball valve but the balls can get out-of-round, but it’s usully the gears themselves that fail. Kits are available on Amazon, or price shop other online shops. I was happy with price/service from infloorpoolparts.com

Here’s a few links for options:
InFloorPoolParts-522642, 6 Port Top-Feed Acrylic Ball repair kit
InFloorPoolParts menu of various internal repair kits

The balls are inside the housing. They are not acrylic. They are just little balls about 1/4" that cover a hole. When I put the gear assembly into the valve all of the heads are up. What makes the heads go down? The 6 white discs on the bottom of the gear assembly are loose and go up and down by hand. There is no spring tension or anything that keeps them in a certain position. I assume the water pressure closes them?

Pictures of these balls and other internals would certainly help us visualize what you have. Pics of your equipment pad and the outside of the water valve would be good too.

I think I had one of these systems on my first (and only other pool), built in 1985. Here is what I believe to be what the OP is talking about...

Page 18 of A&A’s 2012-2013 catalog...doesn’t show up in their most recent catalog.

http://www.aamfg.com/brochures/2012-2013 Product Catalog.Online.pdf

That was at our first house out of college and I had zero DIY experience. I think this system used those little balls to open up a gasket valve similar to the way most sprinkler valves are designed...in addition to the gears, the cams I had failed regularly (I think I remember that they have a membrane inside each cam which would get tears/holes and fail, like a sprinkler valve membrane), and would have been costly except for my lifetime free replacement. That system was not easily maintainable.

“IF” you are going to fix your IFCS, I would say replace the entire manifold...ask A&A manufacturing if there is a replacement for it. But, you may not be happy with the performance of your system if you fix it...if it has that catalog “ball mechanism”, it seems like it might be one of the early IFCS designs. Lots of people have abandoned those.

EDIT: I looked at the catalog again...actually I am not positive that this IS the same system that I had (its been 25 years)...I would say post some pictures and and more info about your equipment/pool as a couple other posters have indicated.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.