gregorym59

Oct 23, 2021
Estero, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I hope this is an appropriate location for this question. A Paramount PV3 in-floor nozzle was stuck in the up position, so I used the Paramount tool to remove the nozzle. The PV3 came out but it dislodged itself from the bottom retaining collar, and the collarremains stuck in the in-floor body; it is stuck in place and doesn't want to come out! Tried a number of different approaches to remove the collar without luck. Of course it is located in the deepest section of the pool. I'm attaching a photo depicting the part of the twist-in nozzle in question. Has anyone encountered this and figured out a way to remove the collar? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 6.49.53 PM.png

My understanding is the retaining collar is supposed to remain on the popup head. Sounds like your retaining collar is somehow wedged in pop up mounting collar. Best bet may be to talk with a local pool maintenance guy or call Paramount directly. One of them may have suggestions on how to successfully remove the retainer.

Thanks. You’re correct, the retaining collar is a component of the pop-up head and under normal conditions shouldn’t become separated. I have no idea how/why it did separate from the pop-up. When I dove to the pool floor to retrieve it I was hopeful it would lift right out of the in-floor housing but it won’t budge! I will talk with the pool maintenance folks.

Was the popup extended or retracted when you removed it?
If extended, that may be why the retaining collar separated.

It was extended, that’s why I was removing it to either clean and reinstall or replace wirh a new one. I suspect it was already separated from the collar and that’s why it wasn’t retracting. I may try to see if I can get it to move by using a stainless steel pry hook, but I don’t want to damage the pop-up body embedded in the pool floor (so won’t use too much force if I give that a try).

Sounds like a plan. Let us know if you succeed with that or what local pool guys or manufacturer says.
Taking the cautious approach is best when working around the cemented/plastered in floor mount.

Definitely call paramount for advice first..... My thinking would be whatever jammed it in the up position came from the filter side, So I would not try pushing down on the collar at all as that might wedge it in even more. I would use a plastic hook that mimics the bottom of the head, attached to a home made puller (like a dent puller - this can be made from different size pvc pipe ) and very gently tap up on it going from side to side to wiggle it out. "Proceed with great caution".......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.