Painting Indoor Pool

Jul 18, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I was reading through some previous threads and noticed that it was pretty unanimous... TFP is against painting pools. Everyone seems to be in agreement that re-plastering is the best approach. My pool is already painted, what would the advantage be of just re-plastering? Would you then paint the new plaster? FYI, I'm considering re-painting my pool just to refresh the look while it's drained. We just moved to our house and the white is a little dingy and the blue is faded. Other than that there's nothing wrong with the surface.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 60
Does not look bad in the photo at all.

New plaster comes in a variety of materials with different textures and colors, you would never spend thousands on a custom surface then put a few hundred worth of paint on it. People replaster for different reasons, they may have water loss, the plaster might be delaminating, texture is super rough, or it is just plain ugly and they want a change. Paint will not make the pool unusable or cause problems beyond aesthetics, I think most are against paint because they would not consider it "trouble free" it generally does not last long, it scratches fades or flakes with in a year or three. If you like the look and there are no major structural flaws I say grab a roller and get to work. There are many on the forum that have painted usually for budgetary reasons and were happy with the result.

Eric, nice indoor setup. I would hold off a bit on doing anything. Fill er up and enjoy it, all the while thinking which way you want to go. With as nice of a setup you have there, I would definitely get some bids on a replaster as it would bump the aesthetics of that whole room. :cheers:

Very nice setup and unique in many ways! I agree that you just moved in so give it a go to see how things are, make sure the pool equipment all works properly then decide. How old is the pool and the equipment? Can you try cleaning the pool first?

Hi ctrav, the pool was built in 1990 and from what I can tell the equipment is of a similar age. I've pressure tested the lines since the home was vacant for five years and found everything to be pretty good. I'll give it a good scrubbing this weekend and see what it looks like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.