Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I'm going to be installing a saltwater system for my pool, and I figured as long as I'm going to be doing some plumbing work, I should see if there are some adjustments I could make to improve my setup. I feel like there may be some 90 degree joints I could eliminate, but not certain. I assume I want to keep all the equipment where it's at on the pad since that's how the builder originally laid it all out, but I suppose if there are opportunities to improve the layout I'm open to that.

I was planning to replace the plumbing mostly as-is unless there are recommended changes. I'll definitely be replacing the runs between the filter and heater and from the heater back out to the pool.

I also have 3 pipes stubbed out and capped off at the pad that I have absolutely no idea what they are for - is there any way for me to figure that out?

m3AZkX15tfdEWv6jOLdZUcTVCFTQ8W2bd4pVOA641lOA3nR-ayzp_MxoMjWOgdfELriJ7MNpfN9iIa2okUNHacBthVGRFrHFtxK_2SYm7cjriGccDpYjo2qQuM95QNeDxmhdDQ86vvtLjewoqeEliufOJhipO80SdTfoBupjekroL_acWO2wjSYqSdf2eLIxeuuHyrBcOZTJVuYKxZXcSII_r8waIOWZmmCzcaZf_7_cbbPRTJ3tkrNI2DFDZcF6Ww1K7c5-hX6UWz9GorqdKxbZoRpYkFYIBOzujbQNNMmo3otXQdfsWNcusX5p3a5HMkF11ID1pGj_gROmLm-g7lcwfRuBLWksPCtLKJ6H8EpKN-fRcm72WQYMJn8yQEHbL7ZRs9IYR4FdzlUh8GwVXmM_Zw8UA2DAx_CXAsxufgBLAKtLnsygfRG-kKmF-zPjqVtVHIBiUGdP7SL_tqRMqIz-lLmUMonJ8sTgLifP0TiKzBKXUC8eUyo1FWPxaxkSVWT8XUyL1JYoUCYffjUEz_dSN73Pj2QUgoeu3eXw-eLcmlTAo1eoW8PmBE0MtqGrQBeihM38fSOi_L5Es6TL5U92ul7nW_zHMMZ5ZD_aKzDW8ZER5k9noIIjwAH5TMctvCuiU1K6_RWpyk4BFNYQGYZtWYdoNHCkOrkqsPfp6twS_eTQsRwDoydXZommKhVjZCUmd3MV6pAFaPho_Xgoqh7l1VREQc5xvaxPja0NXufVXwQC79ycJNl8_h8b00SaCK08Fm1eqCxRhvyXu9wn6pNRXgDCvqVbmU6ILIsJEtttOV0As6n6YFfY-HyFoqb7upusNe-bag3b47KEJ5ckAX9fZl51zROnaj67QG8e1ctFJHo0WlWcMPfYXl4ibuPxthNDi46snbc1-AhDVrOBhEMXPt1yWsznbRXsnJb66n2wew=w1704-h763-s-no

hxmu1TUc39YZ5ZqSJ9P0a-Ip3LC5pZRl32pXlSgMDEtYymishZFOef-tRQbFtxkXOnO5z21ea7dpGL7zzsf7LcIaIfDNgZj0g1IOb_3MvMdMRC88RQI6bGh1W75s2DGR1FYCVOY4w8W44erX-izpNHZcDDtA3tMiucHpFoqCV5tJCUS3cJV2tTFrWBQzkyLvMdAdsxkez_SersWVKN2c6YVr5DLP2kp2bguWGggAK9BSgJqdVoL6xHdeAbRGBzOI6OGZwkAGARpNzHlijWAvl2VYOEt9j_IAT6lcxPuFa1XbhsINtg-dzsF2I44p3pUfLPASr4huF5K8qsstVze4t_ZsZZD3w51ubhtdPnNWKPiAouYycStAR9E3Wb8NFVKH7y58I_qEy7JP5Z1r7Dx0QHyRYhg5LMrQjj9E5hI4Uf5vyUb4wlg7hnAAsLGWvE2589QE31GN-oysWpIjFNpfKfMfrZanF4iMz3ToAeJk1MDiJL-W6t9CRG3eSUIOkSWsgjyezQ7Dz2wYD_T4tK7YadNoe6WrIzGoi3AmsF7GGpMNqGFFy_lnoIWN-cHXmFjgM4jzIQy7DxeiJ-g6UdLWLtf5yY8F1gK1cB230zaRco8xfFt68ScL790apEZHMSzZzKHuhhSrARcE_xOJjqwWodN_3VjQ8zEmoD4W9wm6BmUevJk2PvtoZTXnWV4o5ix2AFvqmmezdrKX8yPyDpwmZYWE5vPAlKR8B-js3LZpdpkJvXwSYuQh8i1euksb6fRAXfY1LWzQJehPzMGjc8Efrxgotfu1MbZtgpBcRALkiTlCgHvhK6Svam7IySTONUkwLrEF4_aczXlG48ofrpAbBaiRjZkJZ12kAI66nniTc_1RmUsa3U9r6QOYg2eJqAl6bAf925PAXTtlJrQlpuRLssuos26pMzOOzdGz_iWH_gW9Nw=w1704-h763-s-no

fB6qxWO-oUC3pBqkYNxDfqwqkoB2fO9mLl2IyGySwEKvo88SrKaFIGo80tcTST8MJ495CQJHMbJ9oO2VajtBcnwIyAAHXEhki0cyrNUswfVAbUnTx2f8Rl1Q-lpxaQZPwbRrC0KUv44fkg7VvnOnhsY8zvjtt2u5_yK5cX8w6SOuQPPhBJxd0kQQQEhN40H-CP0Aw74rUjNvOymgH5PYuaEuCKU4OEv6Ngj21SjkZXqJuifHHjCrCTqU9UdxCuFNinv-BuasAnHsrhRpBKPQsRo6Q75Wqvx-pqomyq1LM-hNS8P-iQ6W0hTOKW3-1NIkyrG8c8vMscLuugl7gKG29788upFMTGFYksdXzuL7sf4rpHQYmIofN3tVac2ho-ACIZ9xJRZGGPuady0b3UsfDuSxTKo9BjBKpz3i6wxOQvic2O4ym2udZuK95fLWBi4YSVHtH8nNiJse_6CG08DAgBWaYfEAj7bJj4RpwGIljwKkkfvu5_9QA-aNsAcwwVFz-15vJekVRifRHfXxtzH0MpyWqLJitA7vN8y7oT1vkxW_5gEMfZHvt1jaIm1MI6q2eLAEEZtJLQ6Uvtar1PekCHWVn-9vy7QNBXXmdtW5UTKImsDEL9ZJG_AKARTNiVnXp976QmLRDDH8ConU3YcAYNfu25vzcLB85ZLU1uPy1MmBv88kbP2QUT0zvJ_xz7_fsS4Cs4_gXYn-mezA8RAvASIxN0JISBGdOBSdblqzlcd56OfO7O4I5cJP5jLtIg7IS-tGRk390BJ__8wWctF4w2pVgr1YwECajieG_RcMVUoid33QjRjWHmT6EEuO8gXXafGA8YIQ5iIvOpTAX1cTd1H3A7yBE3v9n0kK9RPjV4OzBNmrpp-CVlPiDFz7kgzOHoH9K6qw-m1kJgDQ4gJodvupbVFQQ0vty7flV1RHwYzlew=w1704-h763-s-no

No pictures came through.

You could consider a heater bypass if you have the room.
I'll see if I could fit a bypass in, that's an interesting idea.

Not sure why pics wouldn't have come through - I posted on my computer but I'm on my phone now and I do see them showing up in my post.

Here's a link to the pics: Pool Equipment

Thanks. I was looking as to where you would place the SWCG. There is that long run on backside from heater. The other long run is from back to front but it is really close to the filter so not a lot of room. What type of SWCG are you installing? Does it have an intergrated flow switch or is it a separate unit. If separate, you can put the SWCG on backside horizontal pipe and then the flow switch on the pipe running back to front.

The capped pipes could have been used for a booster pump where there was a supply input and then an exit back to the pool. Do you have any returns in your pool that do not have any flow?

I'm planning to install the cell on the long run on the backside - that's where the old one was. When I bought the house, there was a saltwater system installed, but it wasn't in use, it was operating as a regular chlorine pool. After a hail storm we had to replace a bunch of pool equipment and decided not to put the cell back in because we weren't planning to use it - bad choice in hindsight. We already have a controller (installed after the hail storm damage, but never used) - it's a Jandy APUREM, so my plan is to install a PLC1400 cell to go with it.

As far as the extra pipes, all of my returns have flow - there is just one port in the pool that has always been a mystery, and I'm betting it connects to one of these pipes. The returns are all threaded but this port has a lip and no threads, and is closed up on the inside. Not sure if there's a removeable piece inside it closing it or if it's solid, but I can easily feel that there is something there when I stick my fingers into it. I always thought maybe this was for a vacuum or something. Here's a pic of this port, and adding the pic to the google link in my previous post just in case it doesn't come through inline in the post.

1684251352302.png

I'm planning to install the cell on the long run on the backside - that's where the old one was. When I bought the house, there was a saltwater system installed, but it wasn't in use, it was operating as a regular chlorine pool. After a hail storm we had to replace a bunch of pool equipment and decided not to put the cell back in because we weren't planning to use it - bad choice in hindsight. We already have a controller (installed after the hail storm damage, but never used) - it's a Jandy APUREM, so my plan is to install a PLC1400 cell to go with it.

As far as the extra pipes, all of my returns have flow - there is just one port in the pool that has always been a mystery, and I'm betting it connects to one of these pipes. The returns are all threaded but this port has a lip and no threads, and is closed up on the inside. Not sure if there's a removeable piece inside it closing it or if it's solid, but I can easily feel that there is something there when I stick my fingers into it. I always thought maybe this was for a vacuum or something. Here's a pic of this port, and adding the pic to the google link in my previous post just in case it doesn't come through inline in the post.
View attachment 492282
Cut the caps off and use an air compressor to blow air in the lines and see where it bubbies out

Thanks the picture came through. It is either a suction side vacuum or a pressure side vacuum connection. I am leaning towards the pressure side vacuum because 1) the pipes appear closer to your return side of the pad, 2) there appears space for a booster pump which is a little smaller than a regular pump, 3) you need a pipe coming from a return (which is probably underground) that feeds the booster pump and then a return to the pool which is the exit port in your picture so that would account for 2 of the pipes.

FYI - I have a similar setup where my supply to my booster pump comes from a connection to my return which is underground so it is feasible you have a similar set up.
However, if you are really interested in finding the purpose of those pipes then do as @oldprophet stated and cut the caps off and apply air pressure. I would do that with the pump off. If you have no need for either a suction or pressure side cleaner then no need to sort out those pipes.

Do you know if your AquaPure controller is still functional then purchasing a AP1400 would be fine. I have one and pleased with it.

Keep us informed on your next steps.

I had to drain water from my pool today and got a much better picture of the one outlet in the pool that I've never been able to determine what it is - here's a pic...

IMG20230523140008.jpg

I had to drain water from my pool today and got a much better picture of the one outlet in the pool that I've never been able to determine what it is - here's a pic...

View attachment 495507
That is for a pressure side vacuum. You can see the blue disk which is a flow restrictor and then the 2 nubs that allow a hose connector to latch onto.

If you ever wish to do some replumbing, then you can tie your return pipes into this and create another return to the pool.
Right now, I would cap the side by the pad. You can run some water through it now to verify the pipe before you fill the pool.

It says Polaris.

I will unscrew.

One of the lines with a red dot probably goes to this line.

Remove the PVC cap and put a hose in the line to see if water comes out of the hole.

1684942295890.png

1684942401422.png

77121_0_2019719154024.jpg

Attachments

• 1684942445741.png
    1684942445741.png
    680.5 KB · Views: 0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good picture by @Jimrahbe . Also, if you wish, put water down the other pipe that is capped and I‘ll bet you see water out of one or multiple pool returns in the pool. It may take several minutes as it has to transverse all the lines to the pool.

The way the pressure side cleaner works is that the suction is drawn from the pool return and the output flow goes to the dedicated cleaner line as shown in the picture.
It would be good to mark both Pipes.

An even easier fix would be to connect the 2 capped pipes together - then it will act as another return to the pool. It would keep both pipes refreshed with chlorinated water to prevent algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.