Kelowna, British Columbia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I know TFP recommends against these, but our installer put one in. Not sure if it was in the original quote or not, but in any case we have one. Is there any benefit to leaving it hooked up? It would be very simple for me to disconnect power to the unit. Water would still pass through it, but it wouldn't do anything. If it's providing *some* benefit, I'll just leave it alone, but if there's none, than why waste the electricity.

What brand and model system do you have?

Are the UV and ozone separate systems or is the UV generating the ozone?

Is there a contacting tank and/or degassing tank attached to the ozone system?

How are you chlorinating your pool?

What brand and model system do you have?

Are the UV and ozone separate systems or is the UV generating the ozone?

Is there a contacting tank and/or degassing tank attached to the ozone system?

How are you chlorinating your pool?

It's a DEL AOP 25, single unit does both UV and ozone. (DEL AOP - CMP)
No tank attached.

Chlorinating with liquid chlorine, following the TFP method.

As much as I'd like to return it, the PB doesn't do SWG, might still ask and see about credit for a robot or something.

Following. I did a lot of research on that model this weekend. It actually looks promising, but its still a secondary sanitation.

The maintenance on them seemed similar to a SWG, as the bulb had to be replaced every 18 months and ozone every 5 years. AOP is getting a lot of hype, I just couldnt find a ton of real hands on experience with it on here and other sites to justify the $ in my case.

Since you have it already, my vote is for you to leave it in and report your results :)

I have ozone and UV. Note that the UV is UV-C which is the disinfecting UV that you don't get from the sun, as it is absorbed by the atmosphere. The ozone only lasts a few seconds in the water, but it is a powerful oxidizer. I don't regard them as alternatives to chlorine, but they are a worthwhile supplement. UV-C for example kills cryptosporidium, while chlorine does not. Ozone helps eliminate chloramines. I still maintain normal chlorine levels in my pool, and after my initial warranty is up, I'll probably add a SWCG as an alternative to liquid chlorine. Ozone and UV-C are not alternatives to chlorine, even though the manufacturers claim up to 70% reduction in chlorine is possible. I don't believe that would be a prudent approach, personally. As to replacing UV bulbs, that depends on usage. My idiot pool builder wired the ozone appliance to run 24/7 regardless of whether the pump is running or not. When I asked why, when the bulb has a finite life, he said, "That's how I wired mine, and it works fine." He did subsequently put a timer in for the ozone and UV, which is a pain, since I have to manually reset the timer when I change pump run times, so I'll probably late get those connected to a flow switch. I regard ozone and UV-C as worthwhile supplements, especially for what they cost, to chlorine, and along with not allowing hillbillies in the pool, a part of having a clean and sanitary pool. I waited a really long time to get a pool. I'm 72, and I don't intend to contract a disease from my swimming pool. If it weren't too expensive and too hard to get a prescription, I'd even add tetracycline to the pool water!

Ozone helps eliminate chloramines.
UV kills a lot of things including DNA, the problem is not that UV kills things that FC cant. It is that it also kills FC which makes your FC demand higher with an associated cost. If you can live with that, then its ok. For me the amount of time the pathogens are exposed to the UV is way too short inside the cell for it to be effective. More so if you have high flow rates. Pathogens are exposed to UV far more time in the pool with the sun. For indoor pools that is another story.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.