Owner/Builder dreams in the Inland Empire

Jalan

May 26, 2020
Inland Empire, Ca.
Like many I've lurked here a while and signed up to get my hands dirty, er wet hopefully. We plan on doing an Owner Build and have seen so many amazing projects (just read up on Spillmar's build) on this forum. I just want a basic pool so we can get wet!

Basically I'm looking at a 16x36 rectangular pool 4'to 7' deep, perhaps with internal spa. Now a spa would be nice but I could also go for a separate form fitting Jacuzzi that they might sell cheap at the fair. My kids would like one but I remember going to a friends pool where a little kid was telling the others "here's where you go pee" and pointed to the spa! I mean it's the adults that are supposed to benefit from the jet action, no? With so much to go over on spa construction such as Hartford loops, blower/no blower, 3 jet manifolds and other goodies it's a little overwhelming.

So I was hoping that maybe I could get some of my random questions answered:
1. The top of the pool shotcrete shell is generally 12 inches thick thinning to 6". How thick is a spa wall in general, for interior walls? I have seen somewhere where it was 1'6" which seems excessive. I thought 6" would be enough.
2. How many jets can you generally operate with one pump in spa only mode and what size pump? Pool estimate to be about 24,000 gallons.
3. Using a Hartford loop in the spa shotcrete, is one needed for each jet or is one sufficient.
4. From what I read a blower is not needed if done right, but do people bring the air tube all the way back to the equipment pad? It would seem the longer the pipe the harder it would be for the air to get sucked in to the jets.
5. In people's experience, how much more does it cost to do a typical 6 jet 7x7 spa (for rebar, shotcrete, plumbing, tile, no extra pump, no heater cost as it is already wanted as part of the pool)
6. Pool equipment. Definite must is a salt water generator. What's the consensus as best SWG and what equipment (heater and cartridge filter) should I surround it with. (24k gallon pool)
7. LED lights. If you are going to have a simple pool at least put nice lights in it to look at in nighttime. I have read reviews on the Pentair Intellibrites at Amazon and they are horrible, that they don't last. Maybe only those sold on Amazon? Is there a consensus on where to buy color led lights and what brand?
8. Ozonator? Ha, I just had to add that in, but in all seriousness what about when the Zombie Apocalypse hits and you need to sanitize your water? I guess buy a Jacuzzi that has one?
9. Oh yeah, hydrostatic valve. Needed in dry So Cal? I'm basically at a higher point elevation wise than on all sides of me.

I just wanted to get a little input so I can get a design to Pool Engineering and get this on the road.
I have contacted an excavator/rebar installer and have some ideas for the other trades from reading up on the forums but I would sure appreciate any PM's from people with subs they have used, the good, bad and stay away types for the Inland Empire (Upland to Yucaipa and down to Temecula)
Thanks for any help and hope to be posting soon!

Reactions: Spookie
I’d focus on which automation system you want, then that will drive the SWG, pump and lights. The heater doesn’t matter regarding brand. Raypack is highly recommended, at least in gas. Cupronickel model with your SWG.

Pentair‘s top system gets lots of good press here. Hayward’s is also good. I have the previous version of Hayward and don’t have mobile access, and I don’t want to pay for the components needed for what I would use it for. All of the top line versions now have it built in. There seems to be more support here for Pentair, regarding helping you set it up and problem solve, if that is of benefit to you. We’ll see what others have to say.

Reactions: Jalan
Like many I've lurked here a while and signed up to get my hands dirty, er wet hopefully. We plan on doing an Owner Build and have seen so many amazing projects (just read up on Spillmar's build) on this forum. I just want a basic pool so we can get wet!

Basically I'm looking at a 16x36 rectangular pool 4'to 7' deep, perhaps with internal spa. Now a spa would be nice but I could also go for a separate form fitting Jacuzzi that they might sell cheap at the fair. My kids would like one but I remember going to a friends pool where a little kid was telling the others "here's where you go pee" and pointed to the spa! I mean it's the adults that are supposed to benefit from the jet action, no? With so much to go over on spa construction such as Hartford loops, blower/no blower, 3 jet manifolds and other goodies it's a little overwhelming.

So I was hoping that maybe I could get some of my random questions answered:
1. The top of the pool shotcrete shell is generally 12 inches thick thinning to 6". How thick is a spa wall in general, for interior walls? I have seen somewhere where it was 1'6" which seems excessive. I thought 6" would be enough.
2. How many jets can you generally operate with one pump in spa only mode and what size pump? Pool estimate to be about 24,000 gallons.
3. Using a Hartford loop in the spa shotcrete, is one needed for each jet or is one sufficient.
4. From what I read a blower is not needed if done right, but do people bring the air tube all the way back to the equipment pad? It would seem the longer the pipe the harder it would be for the air to get sucked in to the jets.
5. In people's experience, how much more does it cost to do a typical 6 jet 7x7 spa (for rebar, shotcrete, plumbing, tile, no extra pump, no heater cost as it is already wanted as part of the pool)
6. Pool equipment. Definite must is a salt water generator. What's the consensus as best SWG and what equipment (heater and cartridge filter) should I surround it with. (24k gallon pool)
7. LED lights. If you are going to have a simple pool at least put nice lights in it to look at in nighttime. I have read reviews on the Pentair Intellibrites at Amazon and they are horrible, that they don't last. Maybe only those sold on Amazon? Is there a consensus on where to buy color led lights and what brand?
8. Ozonator? Ha, I just had to add that in, but in all seriousness what about when the Zombie Apocalypse hits and you need to sanitize your water? I guess buy a Jacuzzi that has one?
9. Oh yeah, hydrostatic valve. Needed in dry So Cal? I'm basically at a higher point elevation wise than on all sides of me.

I just wanted to get a little input so I can get a design to Pool Engineering and get this on the road.
I have contacted an excavator/rebar installer and have some ideas for the other trades from reading up on the forums but I would sure appreciate any PM's from people with subs they have used, the good, bad and stay away types for the Inland Empire (Upland to Yucaipa and down to Temecula)
Thanks for any help and hope to be posting soon!

Following... From another IE'er who will go O/B route soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.