Jan 31, 2022 Forming Complete​
Feb 3-7, 2022 Excavation​
Feb 21-22, 2022 Rebar​
March 18-21 Gunite​
May 27 Tile is done! It almost looks like a pool now.​
June 2 Hot tub filled. Getting everything prepped for plaster​
June 20 Plaster done - pool filling​
Next Up: Finish the hardscaping and random other items.​

Just getting started on this as an Owner/Builder. I’ve been reading the forums a ton the last few months, trying to get an idea of what to do, what works, best practices, etc. I’d love to get any additional input on my plans.

I just got the engineering plans back, and submitted for permits earlier this week. Want to get the dig started in the next couple of weeks if the weather holds so I can get it done early next spring/summer and have some time to swim! Would love to get anyone’s feedback.

I’m relatively handy, so will be doing as much of this as I can myself, which ultimately may just end up being plumbing, tile, pavers, some of the electrical and gas.
Many of the build threads have been extremely helpful to see, so I plan on updating this throughout the project.

Going to be a 22’ X 46’ gunite pool, right around 40k gallons.
6’ wide tanning ledge (1’ water depth)
4’ to 5’ Shallow end (3.5’ - 4.5’ water depth)
9’ Deep end ( 8.5’ water)

Would like to put in a jumping ledge(s) and am planning for additional strength on pool walls for that, but haven’t finalized anything there yet. Have also looked at doing a rope swing, but there’s not a lot of info on that, especially on anyone that’s done it themselves.

Pool Equipment:
  • Pump: Pentair Inteliflo VSF 11056 (maybe IntelliPro 23056 for 2-½" port size??)
  • Filter: Pentair Quad DE 100
  • Salt Water: Intellichlor IC60
  • Heater: Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTU gas heater
  • Automation: Intellicenter with power center (hoping to find the IntelliCenter i8PSIC60 Kit)
  • Lights: Pentair Microbrite (3 on tanning ledge, 6 in pool)
  • AutoCover
Would like to do 2-½" suction lines, but may end up with 2”. Below is my initial plan for plumbing, with some questions.

Plumbing Questions
  • Was planning on 2-½" suction side. Intelliflo 11056 only has a 2” port. Do I upgrade to the IntelliPro 23056 instead? Just use 2” pipe?
  • Is there a ‘best’ skimmer? Does it matter?
  • Do I need to use the equalizer line on the skimmer? Or just cap that?
  • Should I move some returns to the short wall on the deep end? (same wall as the cover)
  • Contemplating deck jets – what's everyone’s experience with those? Are they worth it or a waste of time? They’re not terribly expensive, and may not use them a lot, but it seems like they could be fun occasionally.
  • Is it worth it to have separate runs for all the returns? Or combine all of them on each side together to simplify things? If I do that, do I need to loop it? Returns would be 1-½ runs.

Any other thoughts/suggestions/changes? What other things am I missing?

Edit: Adding a better picture :)

1661790194589.png

Attachments

• Pool - Detailed Plumbing.png
    Pool - Detailed Plumbing.png
    440.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Pool - Plumbing.png
    Pool - Plumbing.png
    441.4 KB · Views: 205
  • Pool Design.png
    Pool Design.png
    774.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Site Plan.png
    Site Plan.png
    887.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Pool equipment: upgrade the pump. All your equipment is top of the line, have been installing that exact equipment line for a long time and it’s proven it’s self to me. Skimmer: PAC Fab Admiral. Return lines: I don’t see any on the reef shelf, you do have bubblers but they agitate the water and do not move it in a direction. Deck Jets: they are loud when they hit the surface of the water and make it hard to carry a conversation over them when you are in the pool but there is a WOW factor with them. Return Lines: looped is the best way to obtain equal pressure from each return. I did not see a Auto Fill or a dedicated over flow.
Design: 6’ reef step will be tight if you plan on having Lounges on the step, 7’ is minimum to have space to walk in front of the lounge. Hope this helps, Ray.

Attachments

• 8940863E-6D0F-4877-87F9-7E840DADF78B.jpg
    8940863E-6D0F-4877-87F9-7E840DADF78B.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 118
  • D54A30C1-05CE-4190-8BA0-4A63ABB2B462.jpg
    D54A30C1-05CE-4190-8BA0-4A63ABB2B462.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 65849C24-0858-4764-82B0-83586C44051B.jpeg
    65849C24-0858-4764-82B0-83586C44051B.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 119
I didn't have any returns planned on the shelf. Wasn't sure if they were still needed with bubblers, but I'll add a couple in there.

I wasn't planning on an auto fill. I'll have a cover which I think should help with losing water in the summer. I'm in Utah, we don't get a lot of rain, don't think I'll need a dedicated over flow wither, but maybe I should reconsider on both.

+1 for autofill. Just think evaporation for a pool that size is approximately 600 gallons per inch. You could easily lose an inch in the summer on some days and a 1/2“ to 3/4” all the other days.

You should manifold the return piping. Just use one way valves for each line amd avoid making trident in piping as the straight thru pipe will outflow the rest. In my experience multiple bubblers either need a looped circuit or individual 1way valves. The heights can vary greatly especially with a VS pump at less than max speed. Same goes for deck jets, the length of run affects the throw, a loop is best or 1way on each. For returns just home run each pair, always best to have control amd ability to isolate if theres an issue down the road. I would upsize to 2.5 for for the supply manifold and run 2" and 1.5 where needed. The pentair will accept 2.5 on outside connection.

I had originally thought about just doing a manifold, I guess I'm back to that :) Looking at the Neverlube valves, the 2-way are the same price (or more!) than the 3-way which I why I started looking at options to use those instead. I guess in the grand scheme of thing, a bit more for valves is not going to make a huge difference, especially if it'll simplify things later on.

Is there any reason NOT to go to the IntelliPro pump over the IntelliFlo? They look like they're within $50 of each other.

Working on getting permits with the city. They've actually been very good to work with, but it looks like despite all my utilities being on the north side of my lot, there is a 7 foot easement on the south side where the pool will go. I've got to either move the pool 8' from the fence to allow for that, or get a variance. From talking with the city, it sounds like I can get a variance, it'll just take time to work with all the utilities. That's the path I'm going down right now because I don't really want to push it out that far. We'll see how it goes.

Deck Jets
My pool is still being built. I added deck jets because I thought they'd at least look cool from the canal I live on(cheaper than infinity edge). They just finished plumbing and used 3/4 in pipe with an independent jandy valve for each jet to adjust the flow individually.

@kevin76 - good to know. I think I'll probably end up going that route. It's a little more pipe, but the more I think about it, being able to control each individually, or turn only one on, etc. is probably best. I think I'll do that for the bubblers too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there any reason NOT to go to the IntelliPro pump over the IntelliFlo? They look like they're within $50 of each other.
No. Especially if the Intellipro is the XF. It is actually a bit stronger system.

It looks like it is going to be awesome 🤩!
One thought-
if u have high ch water (hard water) & already have a water softener you may consider having a tap that is fed from that for filling the pool or having your auto fill (if you decide on one) run from it to prevent ch building up too high in the pool.

Working on getting permits with the city. They've actually been very good to work with, but it looks like despite all my utilities being on the north side of my lot, there is a 7 foot easement on the south side where the pool will go. I've got to either move the pool 8' from the fence to allow for that, or get a variance. From talking with the city, it sounds like I can get a variance, it'll just take time to work with all the utilities. That's the path I'm going down right now because I don't really want to push it out that far. We'll see how it goes.
My house sits one foot onto a ten foot utility easement. This was found during survey while I was purchasing. It took 6 months to do all the paperwork and wait for the council meeting for the county to approve vacating just the one foot of easement that the house is sitting on. I'm still thankful that it wasn't me that had to handle all of that, as it made the property unable to be purchased until it was resolved.

So good luck!

• Wow
Reactions: TampaKathy
Good advice from everyone, thank you!

@jimmythegreek / @mknauss, thanks for the comments on the pump. Hard to tell from Pentair what/how those pumps are different. I had assumed the IntelliProXF was better, but with them so close in price wasn't sure. I'll go with the upgraded pump.

Agreed on the variance - I am anxious to get started, but hopefully it only takes a couple weeks. I've gotten back one letter already (of 6 total). The hardest part with that is just getting in contact with the right person. Once I'm able to talk to them it's pretty straightforward. The one that seems like it'll be the hardest is Comcast. They don't have a dedicated team, at least that I've been able to find so far, unlike the other utilities. Working through their forums, which many other have also done, so hopefully there's some success there.

@jimmythegreek, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying do something like this? Pipes come up out of the ground, tee into the manifold which goes straight to the pump?
Pool - Manifold.png

Not a lot of updates here unfortunately. Have heard from all the utilities so far with the needed waivers except Comcast and Century Link. Hoping that I'll have those this week and can get the permit but they've both been difficult to contact.

In the mean time, I do need to do some grading where the pool will go and want to get started on that as early as this weekend.

Sorry been swamped trying to finish my last build of the season. What you drew is good that's the theory. Upsize using the valve. 2" to the sockets and a 2.5"glued to outside for the main leg to pump. You can glue right to the socket of 2.5 T's

Attachments

• 20180710_110502.jpg
    20180710_110502.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 91
Slow progress, but I have the permit from the city now. Got hit by a pretty big snow storm last week, and I'm trying to line up someone to excavate, but it's been hard getting responses from excavators. I'm sure the holidays are not helping, combined with the weather, so now the plan is to really get moving on things early Jan if possible. In the mean time I'm trying to get all the small details figured out, and order as much equipment as possible so I don't get stuck waiting for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.