Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m customizing my brand new above ground pool on thepoolfactory’s website and I am on the fence about liners!! I am contemplating just getting the liner that it comes with for now and ordering one separately when I find one I really like since they only have a few choices for the unibead liners (which I am leaning towards based on the little bit of research I have done) and 5 choices for overlap (not counting the plain blue “free” one that comes with the pool). Obviously I won’t be installing the pool until around April. I just want to order my pool now in case they go out of stock! Plus they are 28% off until tomorrow!

Anyways...
Which type of liner is better? Pros and cons of each? I have only owned one pool and that is my current Intex Ultra Frame, so I am completely clueless about liners. Any advice? This is so exciting but intimidating at the same time lol

This is the one I am ordering!! So excited!!

Last edited:
I am doing the same research and pretty much at the same stage of buying you are... From what I have researched is that the unibead allows for replacement without taking off the top coping as it sits in a channel. Unibead also doesnt require trimming at all. This would be good if you are putting a deck around the pool and want to easily replace the liner. I am a novice as well though so I am still learning. I think I am going to go w/ unibead since I plan to do a deck around mine.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I am doing the same research and pretty much at the same stage of buying you are... From what I have researched is that the unibead allows for replacement without taking off the top coping as it sits in a channel. Unibead also doesnt require trimming at all. This would be good if you are putting a deck around the pool and want to easily replace the liner. I am a novice as well though so I am still learning. I think I am going to go w/ unibead since I plan to do a deck around mine.
We want to do a deck also but who knows when that will be completed lol. I just want whatever is easier to install and most secure. Personally, I do not like the looks of the overlap liner but it wouldn’t be a total dealbreaker for me.

Also, does anyone know what “j-hook” means when it comes to unibead liners?

I personally wouldn’t go w/ anything but overlap for 2 reasons-
1- more room for error during install
2- my aunt had unibead/hook liner & they got alot of rain that overfilled the pool- the water went behind the liner & caused accelerated rust.
( I personally never intend to allow that to happen but its a possibility especially if you’re out of town or something & get torrential rains)
Also you can roll the overhang & tuck it in under the top rails so its not visible- that’s what i have done because I don’t like the look of the liner being on the outside either.

2- my aunt had unibead/hook liner & they got alot of rain that overfilled the pool- the water went behind the liner & caused accelerated rust.
( I personally never intend to allow that to happen but its a possibility especially if you’re out of town or something & get torrential rains)
Also you can roll the overhang & tuck it in under the top rails so its not visible- that’s what i have done because I don’t like the look of the liner being on the outside either.
Oh wow!!!! Any idea which type is easier to install or should I just stick with a professional regardless? What gauge liner do you recommend? Most of the ones I see that I like are 25 gauge.

Oh wow!!!! Any idea which type is easier to install or should I just stick with a professional regardless? What gauge liner do you recommend? Most of the ones I see that I like are 25 gauge.
Not sure- i’ve seen opinions in favor of both styles as far as installation - after watching them do mine I was glad i had installers for the whole thing - i have a 33’ round partially buried though. Not even sure what thickness my liner is as there were no choices- they only offer the one kind - boulder overlap. Lots of people are successful in their own liner install especially w/ a little smaller of a pool. When the time comes I may try it myself since the rest of the build will be out of the equation.
@Casey can probably give u some insight- not sure what kind she has used in the past.

If I understand unibead liners correctly, #2 is not a valid reason to avoid them, as long as you don't install by tearing off the top bead and installing them in a j-hook rail, where the liner doesn't quite reach the top of the wall. Even then, I would expect excess water to leak out the top of the skimmer well before it actually overflowed the liner. At least that's what happens to my pool when we get a lot of rain.

The more common way unibead liners are installed is as a much simpler variant of an overlap liner, where the seam between the beads hangs over the top of the wall and is clamped in just like an overlap liner. There's just no need to try to keep it even, since it does that for you, and nothing hanging down on the outside that either looks unsightly or needs to be trimmed away.

I guess I'll find out for sure in a couple of months, because the new pool sitting in my garage has a unibead liner. :)

If I understand unibead liners correctly, #2 is not a valid reason to avoid them, as long as you don't install by tearing off the top bead and installing them in a j-hook rail, where the liner doesn't quite reach the top of the wall. Even then, I would expect excess water to leak out the top of the skimmer well before it actually overflowed the liner. At least that's what happens to my pool when we get a lot of rain.

The more common way unibead liners are installed is as a much simpler variant of an overlap liner, where the seam between the beads hangs over the top of the wall and is clamped in just like an overlap liner. There's just no need to try to keep it even, since it does that for you, and nothing hanging down on the outside that either looks unsightly or needs to be trimmed away.

I guess I'll find out for sure in a couple of months, because the new pool sitting in my garage has a unibead liner. :)
Yes- What happened to my relative’s pool could have easily been human error upon installation (they weren’t real into how their pool worked or maintaining it for that matter).
I do notice with my pool that when there’s alot of splashing/ movement sometimes water goes between the top of the pool wall & the top rails so I do appreciate the insurance of having the liner overlapped a bit. Also I didn’t get a choice in the matter as overlap was my only option. I may branch out when a replacement liner is needed since I won’t be relying on an installers options.

Thanks y’all!! I decided to go with this one and am super excited! I just wish The Pool Factory carried it as an option for my new pool I ordered so it would’ve been cheaper lol. Unibead it is! Wish it was a thicker gauge but I could only find it in 25 and I really love the color and design. Looking forward to it when everything is complete this spring! 😊

6FB1202E-CCE5-4988-A241-9E2821486312.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Portofino design was the only choice I liked from the pool factory but I was afraid it would be too light for me. I’m going to have my liner a looooong time, so I figured I better get one I really love lol

I really wanted a mosaic look, and loved the color too! Light is better in FL!
I can’t wait to see it!!!! You’re lucky you get to put up your pool much sooner than me lol. Mine will be chillin (literally) in the garage until spring. We have about a half foot of snow outside and more in the forecast! 😭🥶

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.