Overflow Drain Blocking Device

rhawke

Bronze Supporter
Nov 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Hi!

We are about to put in a new pool and while we like the overflow drain in case we have hard rains coming down, but for every day use we are concerned about losing a lot of water with daily swimming bouncing the water around.

I just came across this device which for $22 seems like a good solution. Is anybody familiar with it? Or are there better ways to establish a closing mechanism for an overflow drain on a new pool? (since it is not built yet we are still flexible)

WHATAGATE Pool Overflow Stopper Plug | Snap on Overflow Drain Adjustable Plate

Thanks,

Robert

Hey Robert! :wave: I have no experience with that product, but from their website it looks as though they quite a few pre-orders....if that's true. :wink: In any case, it seems like a nice concept. I just wish their video actually showed one in use or how it attaches.

For a new pool? Isn't a hole in the side of your pool, at water level, old school?

Have a look at this thread:

How do I keep leaves from blocking my overflow drain...

Then ask your PB about something like this:

Water Leveler - Poolmiser Automatic Water Leveler - PM-101

This is what I have on my pool, and I never have to think about my pool's water level, high or low. I don't know why anyone would build a pool without one. It doesn't waste water at all, like you're worrying about, because the "full" setting is quite a bit below the overflow setting (both adjustable, where a hole in the side of your pool is not), and it is well shielded from surface waves and splashing. It only drains water when the level is higher than it's supposed to be, not when the water level is where you want it. And you never have to fill your pool with a hose (or forget that you are!)!!

Taking votes for the date of the first post saying you forgot to open the little cover and the pool overflowed and the landscaping is a mess! [emoji16][emoji16]

July 3rd (right before a party of course).

PS - It would be sooner than that if I put that on my pool!

Then ask your PB about something like this:

Water Leveler - Poolmiser Automatic Water Leveler - PM-101

This is what I have on my pool, and I never have to think about my pool's water level, high or low. I don't know why anyone would build a pool without one. It doesn't waste water at all, like you're worrying about, because the "full" setting is quite a bit below the overflow setting (both adjustable, where a hole in the side of your pool is not), and it is well shielded from surface waves and splashing. It only drains water when the level is higher than it's supposed to be, not when the water level is where you want it. And you never have to fill your pool with a hose (or forget that you are!)!!

Our PB is actually putting in an automatic water filler. So this model has two different levels that can be set? One for filling and a second one for taking water out? Or is it a set difference between the two levels (e.g. 1 inch)

Thanks pooldv, I understand the auto fill level and how the floats work.

I was wondering how the drain level is determined in the model that Dirk shared since it appears that with that device there is no need for an overflow grate.

Looking at the instructions in the link below it appears that the overflow height is determined by how high the overflow drain line sticks out?
http://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/poolmiser_instructions.pdf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks pooldv, I understand the auto fill level and how the floats work.

I was wondering how the drain level is determined in the model that Dirk shared since it appears that with that device there is no need for an overflow grate.

Looking at the instructions in the link below it appears that the overflow height is determined by how high the overflow drain line sticks out?
http://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/poolmiser_instructions.pdf

That's correct. The filler has a couple of adjustments. The overflow is just a pipe. But the pipe is just held in place with friction, not glued. So you can wiggle it out to drain a bit if you ever need to*, or you can shorten the tube, by trimming it, if your high-waterline is too high. I did so on mine. If you want to lengthen it (which I haven't tried), you could find a longer replacement or fit a small extension on the end. Mine is 1", so a 1" PVC coupler fits perfectly on top. The pipe itself is not schedule 40, it's thinner. It's probably just 1" thin-wall PVC, but I'm just guessing. Point being, it's not as easily adjustable as the filler, but it is adjustable.

* When I was trying to replace a bit of CH-rich pool water with CH-free rain water, I would lower the water a few inches before a storm, then let the rain fill it back up. I didn't need to siphon or pump, I just pulled the overflow tube out of the bottom hole and let the pool drain through that for an hour or two.

Even without the above water-replacement maneuver, the system is beneficial to my pool, which accumulates CH, TA and salt, because whenever it rains, that fresh water floats on top. But the water that's being displaced by the incoming freshwater rain is drawn through the equalizer tube, which is at least 12" below the surface. So theoretically, whenever it rains, my pool retains the fresh water and empties the pool water. I don't really have any evidence of that, or a way to test it, but the theory is sound (or at least plausible). So at least in my case, the system is beneficial beyond just maintaining the perfect water level. If my overflow was just a hole in the side, it would drain the fresh water layer right off the top (again, theoretically).

I check the unit often, and have never had any issues of leaves or clogging, etc. It all works really well...

Have you tested your fill water? Mine is high in CH, so I re-plumbed my autofill system with a set of valves that can source city water or my water softener. I can dial in either as needed. With the softened water fill supply I hope to control the pesky CH-creep problem most of us face here in the southwest. Perhaps something to think about while designing your pool, if you have a softener...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.