Outdoor Speaker Recommendations

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
I am looking to purchase a pair of outdoor speakers for our pool deck that will be hooked up to a Denon AVR1613 receiver. The speakers I'm looking at are:

Dual LU43PB Indoor/Outdoor Speakers
Monoprice 106970 3-1/4-Inch 30W Nominal and 60W Max 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Pair Speakers
Monoprice 106971 5-1/4-Inch 40W Nominal and 80W Max 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Pair Speakers
Pyle Home PDWR40B 5.25-Inch Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers (Black)
Pyle Home PDWR50B 6.5-Inch Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers (Black)
Pyle Home PDWR50B 6.5-Inch Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers (Black)

Ideally I'd like to keep the price under $50. Thanks!

I personally would stay away from the Duals.....reviews on amazon complain of rust within months.

I just purchased the yamahas from amazon....$70 for the pair. Mounting options stink for ceiling mount...but wall mount is good. Reviews are good and free shipping.

No comment on sound quality as I still to wire them up.

I like monoprice for a lot of stuff...I just don't like the added shipping cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I have monoprice ceiling speakers inside my house and really like them alot.

I think the outdoor ones were on backorder..or came in black only so I opted for the yamahas.

Actually now that I am home and had a chance to look.......I decided against the Monoprice speakers because they have an odd proprietary connection on the back of them. So I stuck with the Yamaha's which are the highest rated at a reasonable price.

They are easy to remove for winter storage.

With included hardware they tilt. If you add a $3 part from home depot or lowes...they will also swivel. The part is made by Bell...In electrical section...and is used for flood lights...I did not use them as I did not need them to swivel...just tilt.

Anyone have experience with Outdoor Speaker Depot speakers? Was going to order a pair of the AP650s...

I have some cheap Duals now, they don't sound too bad and they were cheap but am wanting to upgrade the sound quality.
No rust with mine by the way but they are under cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The definitive tech speakers look awesome and the reviews are good but couldn't bring myself to let loose of $400 for a pair (although I see they are on sale at Crutchfield and best buy right now for $159 each/$318 pair).

I bought the Yamaha NS-AW294WH Indoor/Outdoor 2-Way Speakers from amazon for $117 shipped. They get real good reviews and resist weather damage extremely well. I plan on powering them off the zone B of my new Yamaha RX-V775 receiver. Should have it all setup by Saturday, so I'll let you know how it comes out.

$T2eC16FHJI!FHSs5WoN9BSQZRql,I!~~60_12.JPG
I would stay away from anything Pyle. They are very cheap speakers. I would go with a marine grade outdoor speaker Yamaha is good. Have you thought about a green speaker? I heard these from Bose are pretty good. (although Im not a bose fan)

I have the Dual speakers and they work great. They have the ability to swivel left to right so you can point them where ever you want. I've had them a few years and they grill does start to rust after awhile. A quick spray with black rustoleum and they're good for another few years. For the price, they can't be beat. In the attached picture you can see them while I was installing them after I finished building my pergola...

Image-1524135-211367852-2-WebLarge_0_ad582e116f66d9ce3750d73fbac46aad_1.jpg

I have a pair of patio speakers from Outdoor Speaker Depot that sound good and have held up great. I plan to purchase some more from OSD along with a higher power amp and speaker selector with separate volume controls once out bath house is in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I received my speakers at 4:45pm from the FEDEX man on Saturday, and within 5 minutes I was already out back installing them. These speakers are fairly large for an outdoor speaker with their 6.5" mids and overall 12" wide mounting bracket. Since my pool is located 25-30 ft from the speaker mounting location, I needed something that could project the sound. These Yamaha's accomplish great sound all the way up to my pool with no issues, and even have a nice amount of bass if the song requires it. So overall, I'm very impressed with them and since they are mounted under a covered patio roof, I imagine they should last a long time.

But... I think the best part of my install was the addition of the new Yamaha RX-V775 receiver. The features that come with receiver make the whole outdoor music experience an easy one. First, I can watch TV inside the house and play music outside at the same time from just about any source I want. That includes listening through AIRPLAY, Pandora, Rapsody, Spodify, internet radio, built in tuner, or even streamed music from a phone, tablet or computer. I can also switch it to party mode and play the same music inside as well. Another feature which I'll enjoy is being able to watch TV inside and watch the same show outside from the second HDMI output on the amplifier. Oh yeah, did I mention the Yamaha AV app for my phone and tablets is awesome! I was planning on installing an outdoor volume control, but don't even need to, because I can control the receiver from anywhere on my property where wifi is available. So adjusting the volume is as easy picking up my cell phone.

Tomorrow I'll take some better shots...

14uypt0.jpg

26061pz.jpg

$T2eC16FHJI!FHSs5WoN9BSQZRql,I!~~60_12.JPG
I would stay away from anything Pyle. They are very cheap speakers. I would go with a marine grade outdoor speaker Yamaha is good. Have you thought about a green speaker? I heard these from Bose are pretty good. (although Im not a bose fan)

I've seen these at various amusement parks. They sound good but the price is tough to chew when you can get similar ones a t a fraction of the price. I did the TIC ones seen below. I've seen these in amusement parks as well. I;ve had mine for a full season now and they held up great throughtout the brutal winter we just had.

61JgtNh8BvL._SX425_.jpg

I sucked it up and bought the Definitive Tech AW5500 since they were on sale. I should get them today, I will post once they are installed.

What did you end up getting pmsmith?

I sucked it up and bought the Definitive Tech AW5500 since they were on sale. I should get them today, I will post once they are installed.

What did you end up getting pmsmith?

My neighbor has those on his back deck. Probably the best sounding outdoor speakers I've heard so far. Very loud, great bass and, more importantly, very clear sounding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.