Our dig began today!

Bluegrassman said:
Question about my water. They have not finished pool, have to trim in skimmers and returns, install lights, etc. So I've had to stop filling to keep level below those areas. I've not run power yet (waiting for heavy equipment work to finish and pad replacement)
So, with the pool at ~ 90% full, no circulation, and catching leaves, is there anything I can/should do for the water for now? I've got a net to try to keep leaves picked out, but we've had high winds the last few days making it a non stop chore.
Since you're having to net the leaves, I'd add about 2ppm of chlorine every day as you stir the water with the net. That should keep it from going green.

Re: Re: Our dig began today!

Since you're having to net the leaves, I'd add about 2ppm of chlorine every day as you stir the water with the net. That should keep it from going green.

Will do Bama. Waiting for my test kit now. Just ordered TF-100, Speedstir, and Taylor K-1776 Salt Test today. Can't wait to play with my new kit when it arrives :grin:

Sent From My Inspire 4G Using Tapatalk

The wheels of progress move so slowly now. Been waiting on inspection before they can do lights and pour decking. To top it off, we had major storms this morning. Long story short, not much progress since liner went in and we filled the pool as much as possible until lights go in... Hoping I don't end up with a green swamp before we even finish the pool.

No new work in a while. Somebody did dump a load if rock in the yard Friday :(
New questions:
1) is it normal to see cracks appearing in the coping joints already?
2) is visible condensation normal in the LED lights? (lights not yet installed, but I found the boxes thrown under my deck. They've been previously opened and resealed with duct tape. They are Savi Melody LEDs

Hope the pictures are clear enough.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1330822673930.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330822673930.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 359
Bluegrassman said:
1) is it normal to see cracks appearing in the coping joints already?
2) is visible condensation normal in the LED lights?
I'm no expert, but I've been a pool owner for 30 years.

IMHO, the answer to both of your questions is NO.

The cracks indicate a lot of settling and your pool is only 3 weeks old.

Those lights are supposed to be watertight. Condensation behind the lens when they're not even underwater looks suspicious.

I'll keep watching your thread to see what the experts think!

Good luck.

Those joints are supposed to crack - they're called relief joints (or control joints) I believe and their purpose is to "guide" the. I fete to crack in controlled spots. I've had several concrete projects and in all of them the joints cracked soon afterwards.

As for the light that does seem odd. But...has the weather been very hot or cold? Trapped moisture would condense under some circumstances though I'm having trouble seeing that much moisture in a sealed light assembly...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the LED light is new I'd send it in for a warranty replacement. I wouldn't bother going though the effort of installing it and hoping it works. It should've been factory sealed in a dry environment. I can't imagine how that much moisture got in there unless the seal is defective. I'm not sure the LED will generate enough heat to evaporate the condensate and even if it did, the LED might deterioriate faster as it would be surrounded by warm watervapor.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the cracks. The control joints are supposed to fail to prevent cracks elsewhere. Usually it takes some significant heating/cooling cycles to crack but your deck hasn't even seen an 80° day yet. I wouldn't panic as long as the crack aren't widening but since you also had issues with your equipment pad, I'd start to get concerned that the crew didn't compact/settle the site completely before pouring cement. You indicated they had gravel on-site so I'll assume they haven't poured the rest of your deck yet. I'd make plans to rent a compaction machine from a local construction yard. Shouldn't be more than $100 for the day. And I'd compact the heck out of the entire area. It'll only densify the top 8-10" but thats better than nothing. It might even be worthwhile to run the compactor prior to spreading gravel. In my part of TN we've got red clay and it's generally pretty dense although it can get soft if we receive lots of rain. I'm not sure what kind of soil you've got in WKy.

Thanks for all the replies. We have very sticky, clay type soil here too. Very poor drainage usually because of it unless you get past the clay (about 8-10 feet)
I feel better about the cracks now. They are hairline, and only in the joints. This is the coping which was poured on top of the concrete walls, so I didn't really expect any settling there.
The lights: PB maintains that there is nothing wrong with them. Guess we will see. They have a 2 yr warranty. To be honest, I might be inclined to change them in a couple years anyway with some intellibrites.

Finally poured remaining concrete yesterday! (I've lost count. We're at either 8 or 9 truckloads now) Buried conduit today all set to pull wire. Hopefully setting equipment later next week and we'll be ready to start cleaning it up. The end is finally in sight and I can't wait!

I don't think you should have settling cracks already? Also Savi makes a good/bright LED but there very unreliable! This is there problem, leaking seals! Moisture on a printed circuit board will kill them quickly! I have gone through DOZENS of them on my pond, and when they stop warranting them I'm ripping them out! So be prepared!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.