ORP falls when salt cell runs?

Alistair

Oct 19, 2023
New Zealand
Hi. I live in NZ and have a Hayward Aquarite+ unit and salt cell. It has a pH and ORP probe. When my ORP drops to the set point, the salt cell starts producing chlorine. However, it just never stops. If I stop production by dropping the unit set point down to less than measured ORP it shuts off. The ORP then steadily rises over about 24 hrs to an appropriate level. I've left it alone to see what happens, and I just end up with an over chlorinated pool (as measured on dipstrip and pool shop water analysis). I have changed the ORP probe and still it persists. The local pool shop have been great, but, nonethewiser. Hayward have also not provided a solution. Anyone here found the same AND solved it? Thanks in advance.

I gave up with the ORP sensor on my salt water pool. Fiddled with the settings for weeks. I'd also be interested to know if anyone had any success.

Same, I had one for a few months and gave up. I believe that there's many factors that contribute to ORP. It's by no means, directly correlated with FC.

Hi. I live in NZ and have a Hayward Aquarite+ unit and salt cell. It has a pH and ORP probe. When my ORP drops to the set point, the salt cell starts producing chlorine. However, it just never stops. If I stop production by dropping the unit set point down to less than measured ORP it shuts off. The ORP then steadily rises over about 24 hrs to an appropriate level. I've left it alone to see what happens, and I just end up with an over chlorinated pool (as measured on dipstrip and pool shop water analysis). I have changed the ORP probe and still it persists. The local pool shop have been great, but, nonethewiser. Hayward have also not provided a solution. Anyone here found the same AND solved it? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to TFP!

ORP systems don’t work reliably, especially when the stabilizer (CYA) level gets above ~30ppm. That may be one factor.

The other is that those dip strips and the pool store don’t work well either, no matter what your stabilizer level is. Please don’t trust them. Recommend getting one of the two TFP recommended test kits and test your own water.

The other is that those dip strips and the pool store don’t work well either, no matter what your stabilizer level is. Please don’t trust them
Not only that, they simply don't tell you a value. 0, 30 to 50, 100, 200, 300 doesn't really help much.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.