Opinions on this package?

Purple

Feb 11, 2017
Utah
Opinions on this build?
Pool- 15’ or 18’ Saltwater LX from poolfactory
Liner- Tan stone mosaic from propools
Pump/filter- Aquapro 1.5 hp 2 speed cartridge
Other stuff- ground pad, foam cove, solar cover and reel, deck ladder I’ll get off amazon

This will be on a concrete pad with full sun exposure. I’m at a high elevation and although it’s sunny, it’s still not very warm until early June. A solar heater would be my preference, but they have pretty crummy reviews and always seem to require weird retrofitting (why don’t they make ready-to-go models?) so I’m looking at either a gas heater or heat pump instead. There’s a lot of conflicting advice online, and there aren’t really any dealers out west here to ask in person. Any heater recommendations from personal experience, especially in colder climates?

Hi there!!!
* If you have the room, go for the 18'. I've never met a person who wished they had a smaller pool.
* I wish there had been a tan option when we put ours in. They make the water a very pretty aqua color.
* Having a pump with 2 speeds is amazing! Also, If your pool is going to be getting full sun (like mine) I would look into a sand filter. You might find that you're having to clean the cartridges way more than you bargained for.

Reactions: Purple
Opinions on this build?
Pool- 15’ or 18’ Saltwater LX from poolfactory
Liner- Tan stone mosaic from propools
Pump/filter- Aquapro 1.5 hp 2 speed cartridge
Other stuff- ground pad, foam cove, solar cover and reel, deck ladder I’ll get off amazon

This will be on a concrete pad with full sun exposure. I’m at a high elevation and although it’s sunny, it’s still not very warm until early June. A solar heater would be my preference, but they have pretty crummy reviews and always seem to require weird retrofitting (why don’t they make ready-to-go models?) so I’m looking at either a gas heater or heat pump instead. There’s a lot of conflicting advice online, and there aren’t really any dealers out west here to ask in person. Any heater recommendations from personal experience, especially in colder climates?

I'd go bigger if you have the room. Liner color is your opinion, but I like beaded or j-hook liners.
Is this a new concrete pad you poured for the pool or an existing pad? How thick is it? Pools weigh a lot and you want to make sure it can handle the weight without cracking and moving.

Definitely get a 2 speed pump. The one you selected will work. Look into wiring up a timer with the install. Then you won't have to manually start stop the pump during the day.

Since you are getting a "salt water capable pool", are you using a SWG and have you selected a SWG? Make sure the SWG is rated for at least 2x the pool volume.

Here is an article on Filter comparison and Filter cleaning.

Pool heater types. Solar heaters are good if you have the space since they can be large. Solar is not quick though. You can't use them to heat a pool in a day. Solar is slow and steady. But the heat source is FREE. I'm not sure what "weird retrofitting" means, because they can be plumbed fairly easily with some common fittings. Much easier if you make allowances as you are installing the system. I installed some solar heaters without much difficulty. In one of my posts, I have some pics and descriptions. I don't know what a "ready-to-go" solar heater is? You can buy kits that have most parts you need. Other pipe fittings are available at most hardware stores. All those small kits that promise quick results (with a dome or DYI coils) are misleading. It all come down to surface area of the panels, with the more the better. Solar controllers also help out a lot.

I can't really comment on gas heaters or heat pump models. These will be able to heat a pool much faster in "hours" and not "days". If you go this route, get the biggest you can afford. Higher BTU/hr will heat the pool faster.

Heat pump will take a few days to heat, just off the top of my head quick thinking, if pool water is 78 deg and I wanted say 86 it might take 2 maybe 3 continuous running days. Just going from memory as everything is still disconnected and BTU size has an effect.

It’s official—just got an email from The Pool Factory that my order has shipped. Now I just need to order my liner and a ladder.

I went with the 18’. It is going to be a tight squeeze but worth it I think. Opted for the two speed pump and bought a solar dome to test out.

Pool will be on a thick concrete pad (last summer I had a 15’ Intex on it.) I ordered a base pad and a cove—should I also put down the house foam stuff?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.